Buffing Motor

Sanding, rusticating, sandblasting, buffing, etc. All here.
LexKY_Pipe

Buffing Motor

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

In several discussions people have been looking for good buffing motors. There's one currently on Ebay that's a squeel of a deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

I bought one just like it. Can't wait to set it up.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Craig,

Thanks for the heads-up. I am the proud owner! Been looking for a 17xx RPM motor, and was probably going to get one from Harbor Freight @ $62 and change, but a Baldor at $67 w/shipping was too sweet to pass up!

Thanks Again,
Brad
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Brad

You're welcome. From what I see on these boards, Baldor motors are the motors of choice for the kind of work we do. That motor new probably retails for around $200.

I like it when we can help each other out. Good luck and have a great weekend.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Craig,

I don't know if you mean- retail - instead of -new-, but if you read the ad on Ebay carefully, it is NEW!! I looked at what else the seller had for sale, and there was only one other item- a chamferring machine, and guess what drove that contraption- Right, a Baldor. I suspect that motor was bought as a spare for that machine, or something of the sort. Anyway, I'm thrilled. Out to the shop..
munkey

Post by munkey »

I appreciate you posting this.

This seller had another of these motors for sale and I just picked it up with buy-it-now (~$65 shipped). I researched it on Baldor's site and you're right, it retails for at least $200.

Thanks!
-Scott
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

This guy must have had several spares because I bought one from him too. I'm curious to hear from the others that dealt with him how his demeanor was with you. I emailed him directly after I did the "buy now" thing just to confirm his address and to let him know a MO would in the mail once I heard back from him. He responded by telling me to only email him through ebay and never directly... :naughty: I thought that was kinda odd.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I'm not sure but I think he's trying to stay within bounds as an Ebay seller. If sellers and buyers do an endrun by emailing directly, Ebay thinks they might get put out of the middle. IMHO.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:I'm not sure but I think he's trying to stay within bounds as an Ebay seller. If sellers and buyers do an endrun by emailing directly, Ebay thinks they might get put out of the middle. IMHO.
No, not if you hit the "buy now"--you (the seller) are locked in to pay them based on the end price. EBAY gets their money regardless if we do a side deal or not.

Additionally, I did email him using the "contact buyer" button supplied to me in the Ebay email at the end of the auction. So I did contact him through Ebay.

Anyway, not that big a deal... just thought it was wierd that he just couldn't confirm his address for me.
BDP

Post by BDP »

Hey, I'm getting suspisious now! Why would this guy have three Baldor motors and let them go for $50 when they are worth far more??

:dunno:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

I tracked them for awhile. No one was bidding higher than about $46 for any of the motors. He obviously wants to unload them and something is worth only what people will pay. And it looks like people will pay about $50.

I've been tracking mine on UPS. It's supposed to arrive today. We'll see.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Craig,

Let me know if it does arrive. Mine comes tomorrow. I'm looking for an arbor today.
munkey

Post by munkey »

Yeah, keep us posted. The guy has good feedback, though.

I just contacted him and he said he currently has "Right around 100 of them", which might explain the perpetual buy it now auction for one of these :).

-Scott
munkey

Post by munkey »

BDP wrote:I'm looking for an arbor today.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx ... 39&p=41743
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Can't beat that price on a three jaw chuck or the arbors.

We will be keeping these folk in business at these prices.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Got the motor. Excellent. Still in original box. And, it's reversable, which was not advertised. That means with just a minor wiring shift, it can be a clock wise or counter clock wise motor. That means you have max flexibility on where you locate it in the shop.

This is a great deal. I hope others will look into it if they need a good 1/3 hp, 1725 rpm motor.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
BDP

Post by BDP »

Hey, this is great! I'm wondering if anyone can tell us if the motor can be wired with a two-position switch, so that it can go clockwise or counterclockwise with the throw of a toggle switch?

Brad
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Absolutely. The wiring diagram is on the side of the motor. Open the screws over the on/off switch plate, and rewiring to a seperate reverse switch will be a snap. As Murphy's Law goes, it will probably been a pain, but it can be done.
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
munkey

Post by munkey »

My motor just showed up today. What a beaut!

I am looking forward to my shaft adapter and chuck showing up next week to get this thing in action.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

These Baldor motors turned out to be quite a find. Reversing the motor is an easy task as well; just requires a minor wiring shift which is a snap to perform. :thumb:
Craig

Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Anyone have theirs up and running yet?

I am really tempted to pick up one or two before they go, but I need some reassurance before I pull the trigger.

Tyler