first post for critique, pipe No.8 for me.

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
seamonster

first post for critique, pipe No.8 for me.

Post by seamonster »

Hello everyone,
First, a hearty thank you to all for the WEALTH of information, and ENCOURAGEMENT, and display of skills.
Second, thanks for taking a look. This is the eighth pipe I've made, and I think I finally have one worth showing.
I'm mostly interested in hearing about shape and general proportions, but would love to hear any feedback so that No.9 will be better, and No.10 and so on.....

Also, this is my first go at taking pictures, any feedback on them would be great, also. (I know they're a little yellow, had to have the wife come help this colorblind guy out.... SHE says they're pretty true to color now...

Before you have at them, please know I've had a few (hundred) critiques in my art career, so my feeling won't be hurt.
I know I'm new at this, and I know the point is to see the good things, and the things to work on for next time. I'm looking for any and all help.

Cheers,
Jeremy.

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
sandahlpipe

Re: first post for critique, pipe No.8 for me.

Post by sandahlpipe »

That's really nice for #8.

Next time, try to make the line on the back of the bowl go from the top to the bottom. You have one line to the top of the shank and another on the bowl on the side of the shank. Take a bit of material off all around the shank and it will look smoother.

Keep on making pipes, I look forward to seeing the next one.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

sandahlpipe wrote:That's really nice for #8.

Next time, try to make the line on the back of the bowl go from the top to the bottom. You have one line to the top of the shank and another on the bowl on the side of the shank. Take a bit of material off all around the shank and it will look smoother.

Keep on making pipes, I look forward to seeing the next one.
Thanks for the compliments,
and I think you are spot on with the advice... that's been bugging me too.
It seems like a tricky move, I think I need to get some smaller round files...

Thanks again,
Jeremy.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Definitely smaller files. And let me suggest investing in good files for just about everything. There was a recent discussion on fast cutting files that was helpful. I need to post pics of my files soon.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

sandahlpipe wrote:Definitely smaller files. And let me suggest investing in good files for just about everything. There was a recent discussion on fast cutting files that was helpful. I need to post pics of my files soon.
Yup, I read, googled, and bookmarked all over that thread.... just need to process, make some decisions, and order, order, order! Post some pics, please, I think it would be helpful to SEE what these tools look like and what it is about them that makes people like the tools they use.
I know some folks around here have a mental image of these tools just by hearing the name, but some of us new folks need to see them....
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Good job.
Best regards.
Félix

Buen trabajo.
Saludos.
Félix
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Nice pipe!
Nice cone of thread. What brand? I'm retired from the rag business.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

nice pipe, for stem files the aluminum and magi cut by nicholson are great. George , Latakia lover, has the complete story and a video that should rock your world if you need perfection. I believe Mr. Caskwith settled on the magi cut. Good luck.
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Thanks for the comments, folks.
Much appreciated. I'm feeling encouraged.... on to No.9

baweaver - I'm not sure what brand that thread is, it's not one I typically use... usually use Mettler.
What was your gig in the rag business??