How many use a belt grinder?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
NvilleDave

How many use a belt grinder?

Post by NvilleDave »

Seems like every pipe maker's page I visit shows them using a belt grinder of one sort or another. I've looked on Ebay and around the net for one--I've seen some really expensive ones and the cheaper ones don't look like they would last long. I'm on a budget so I can't spend too much. Grizzly has one for $413 shipped but they're back ordered until the end of May. http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cf ... mber=G1015

Have any of you guys made your own? Care to share your design? Pictures maybe or a material list?

Have any of you guys bought one? Who made it and where'd you get it? Would you recommend it?

Thanks.
Dave
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Delta tools sells a much cheaper version. Also Sears has several in their stores under $125.

See Tyler's article on belt sanders.

http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/modules.p ... elt_Sander
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Sheesh. I haven't looked at any of those articles since I wrote them over a year ago. What a terrible article! It is full of typo's and unclearly written. 8O

One of these days I'll improve those articles and finish them out. I also need to video a few processes that I haven't yet.

One of these days... :roll:

Tyler
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Tyler

That's okay. The grammatical police ain't the pipe smokin' type !!!!

The articles are very helpful. I'm waiting to see your article on polishing.

I don't know why you don't have time--pipe maker, dad, husband, associate pastor--you could write between 2 and 3 a.m. !!!!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Yep, I've seen the combo disk/belt sanders... not really what I'm looking for. Here's a shot of Matzhold using something more along the lines of what I want.

http://www.matzhold-peter.at/workshop/schleifband.jpg

Do any of you guys own/use/make something like this?

Thanks,
Dave
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Dave,

I too would like a rig like you are describing. If I had the money I would probably buy one of those Baldor motors currently showing up on eBay, and make my own rig. You can find wheels for this application with a little digging. This would allow you to use nice, long belts, and easily control the tension.

Tyler
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Tyler wrote:Dave,

I too would like a rig like you are describing. If I had the money I would probably buy one of those Baldor motors currently showing up on eBay, and make my own rig. You can find wheels for this application with a little digging. This would allow you to use nice, long belts, and easily control the tension.

Tyler
Exactly Tyler! A 1" X 72" belt with nothing about it but air--you could really do some shaping. If the speed could be controlled what a unit that would be. Looks like changing belts would be a snap--I can dream right? LOL!

Dave
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I have a 1"x32" and it's great! I took all the plates off and backings and stuff. I don't have all the room in the world but compared to only having had a bench belt/disc sander (with a backing on the entire belt area) this is heaven! I have about an area 6" high x 6" (to the back where it hits more machine. And the disc sander has a velcro backing, which provides some padding that I don't have on my other disc sander.

Here's mine:

Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Dave,

All of the 72" belts I have seen are 2", but that would be even better.

My problem with the smaller set-ups is not only working room, but tension. I want a belt that is almost floppy. I want it to assist in sanding, and do MINOR shape tweaking, NOT as a general shaping tool. That would still be a sanding disc for me.

Tyler
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

My problem with the smaller set-ups is not only working room, but tension. I want a belt that is almost floppy. I want it to assist in sanding, and do MINOR shape tweaking, NOT as a general shaping tool. That would still be a sanding disc for me.

Tyler
Mine IS pretty tense. I don't know how many MINOR tweaks I can do with it. But for some "broad" shaping stuff I like it. Mainly to do the area in of the bowl around the shank. It's great for fitting in there. I need to get a leather glove to see how much I can do with using my fingers and conforming the belt...
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Oh and NvilleDave, I just couldn't pass this up...

that picture you posted is COMPLETELY inappropriate!

LOL 8O :lol:

Nick

Post by Nick »

ROFLMAO!! Ben, I completely missed that! Hillarious!
WBill

Post by WBill »

I recently bought a small 1" belt sander from Harbor Freight for $24.99. It has a belt and nothing else, does a great job on stummels and stems. I would suggest going to their store to pick one up, it takes them over two weeks to ship one to you.

Bill

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... umber=2485
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

29.99? Unbelievable. It might be cheaper to get one of these and have it flown round half the globe than to buy – even a comparable crappy simple thing – around here.

Alex
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

bscofield wrote:Oh and NvilleDave, I just couldn't pass this up...

that picture you posted is COMPLETELY inappropriate!

LOL 8O :lol:

Oh GREAT! Peter will remember me as the guy who single handedly embarrassed him on this board! I guess I can kiss an apprenticeship goodbye!

ROTFL!!! I didn't even notice that before I posted it!
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Tyler
Tyler... yep, yep, yep... we're in agreement here--shape tweaking. I would imagine this being used toward the end of the process. But I do remember seeing someone using a belt grinder to put the square shank on a bulldog.

"put the square shank on a bulldog"... I believe this is illegal in most states--I just wanted to beat Ben to the punch. :)

Dave
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

I find that odd... I can see how it's good for it's flexibility and therefore it's ability to conform to shape, but the straight edge sounds different. I guess if get it to conform to something straight... I wonder what he used for backing.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: How many use a belt grinder?

Post by KurtHuhn »

NvilleDave wrote:Have any of you guys made your own? Care to share your design? Pictures maybe or a material list?

Have any of you guys bought one? Who made it and where'd you get it? Would you recommend it?
I currently use a MultiTool on an 8" Jet bench grinder:
http://www.vansantent.com/multitool.htm

I'm also collecting parts to build myself a grinder/sander that uses 2"belts, goes *really* slow, and is a pretty slack belt so that I can back it with my hand - the belts will have to be very long.

I also use a disc after I've roughed in the shape on the belt grinder.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

Folks, you may find these interesting:
http://www.kovalknives.com/grinders.htm
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Can anyone comment on how difficult it is to use something like this when the belt is so loose? In other words, how hard is it to keep it on the wheels?