Heating/remolding stem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
magruder

Heating/remolding stem

Post by magruder »

Has anyone ever tried to heat up a premolded stem and flatten it out more?
Not straighten a bend, but actually apply pressure to the top and underside of a saddle type stem to make it wider?
I want to shorten a saddle stem and recut a button, but I may not have it as wide as I would like after cutting off the end of the stem. Thickness is good, and I'll have to take care not to crush the airway, but I am concernrd that the edges of the cut end may just crumble under pressure.
Anyone have any thoughts on this please?
TIA
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Interesting question? Do you have a cheap stem you could try it on to get an idea if it will work?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
marks

Post by marks »

For the life of me, I cannot think of how this would work without distorting the stem too much, or without screwing up the airway. Even if you inserted the exact type drill bit or other rod into the airway to keep it from crushing, you may get the stem so hot that it melts onto the drill bit and then you may have a time getting it out (particularly with acrylic).

I agree with LexKy, try this on a scrap stem first. Otherwise, my only advise is to try to acquire a wider premolded.
Brendhain

Post by Brendhain »

I have done this. The idea is to heat up the stem so that it softens but not so much so that it melts. I like to insert a wire that has a diameter matching the draft hole in the stem. One it becomes soft, one simply bends it back.

It is jsut the reverse action of someone taking a straight stem and bending it. Neither process is that big a a deal.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Thanx for the input guys. I also thought trying it first on a junk stem was the way to go.
If I try it, I'll post the results.