Aluminum as ring?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hendu3270

Aluminum as ring?

Post by hendu3270 »

Maybe I just haven't looked enough, but I don't believe I've seen aluminum rings or bands on stem or shanks. Is there a specific reason for this? Or have I just not seen it? I'd like to add some rings to my shanks but also keep costs down, atleast for now.
caskwith

Re: Aluminum as ring?

Post by caskwith »

Use it all the time, works great.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Jonas Rosengren uses it with pleasant results. I don't think you're going to encounter issues with how it works on a pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

There are many different alloys of aluminum, and their characteristics are DRAMATICALLY different. So, yes, it can work well, but it can also create problems during fabrication and in the final result. Depends on the type being used.

For pipes, the best type is known as the "architectural" or "corrosion resistant" variety. Medium-soft (which is plenty strong enough for pipes, while being easy to work with), bright silver in color and stays that way), and inexpensive.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

I use aluminum also... Stole the idea from Chris ... When polished up,it looks nice
hendu3270

Post by hendu3270 »

LatakiaLover wrote:There are many different alloys of aluminum, and their characteristics are DRAMATICALLY different. So, yes, it can work well, but it can also create problems during fabrication and in the final result. Depends on the type being used.

For pipes, the best type is known as the "architectural" or "corrosion resistant" variety. Medium-soft (which is plenty strong enough for pipes, while being easy to work with), bright silver in color and stays that way), and inexpensive.
jogilli wrote:I use aluminum also... Stole the idea from Chris ... When polished up,it looks nice

This was my main concern. You can polish the snot out of aluminum and make it look like a mirror, but would it stay that way? Never heard of architectural variety. Is there a "number" associated with it?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
hendu3270

Post by hendu3270 »

Awesome! You da man!! Thanks.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Aluminum can also be anodized at home after you make it into the shape/size you need for your pipes. Simple process just Google for details.