*Edit* New liverpool?

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
kamkiel

*Edit* New liverpool?

Post by kamkiel »

My first attempt at a liverpool was cursed. I dropped this pipe so many times. The first time I finished it, it shot off the buffing wheel and broke the shank at the shank/bowl connection. I just turned the shank into a long shank extension. Overall I am quite pleased with it though. My buddy gave this block to me. It was my first ever piece of briar, and I finally got the courage to use it. I would be disappointed to F up a gift from a friend.

The drilling was a little off in the chamber. My little tools had a hard time giving a block this big holes. I ended up making the shank shorter as I was shaping. I should have done that in the beginning and drilling would have been a lot easier. The stain is a little uneven too

Critiques are, as always, welcomed! I might not be able to reply quickly though because I am going to be travelling around the Northwestern region of China for the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for looking!
Kiel
Last edited by kamkiel on Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandahlpipe

Re: New Lovat

Post by sandahlpipe »

This is not a Lovat. Lovats have round shanks and saddle stems.

You probably want to work on making the button look presentable. The inside of the button looks really rough. Some folded sandpaper will clean up the inside of your slot nicely. Then make sure the button is symmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Re: New Lovat

Post by kamkiel »

sandahlpipe wrote:This is not a Lovat. Lovats have round shanks and saddle stems.

You probably want to work on making the button look presentable. The inside of the button looks really rough. Some folded sandpaper will clean up the inside of your slot nicely. Then make sure the button is symmetrical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the correction! Obviously I still have to get the names right on pipes I am making.

I am almost finished with my travels, and when I get back home I will clean up the button.

Kiel
Literaryworkshop

Re: *Edit* New liverpool?

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Good save on the shank. It looks like you did it that way intentionally now.

My only critique is that the top of the bowl looks just a little off of level. The right side of the bowl (looking at it from the stem end) is a hair higher than the left side.
- Steve S.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Literaryworkshop wrote:Good save on the shank. It looks like you did it that way intentionally now.

My only critique is that the top of the bowl looks just a little off of level. The right side of the bowl (looking at it from the stem end) is a hair higher than the left side.
Good observation. I used a ground down spade bit in the drill press to make my bevel. At one point it grabbed the pipe a bit and made it uneven. It was my first attempt to bevel the rim. I should probably come up with a better way to do it next time.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Bevel the rim with sandpaper. Wrap it around a pencil, or just roll it up. It's really easy. Also, I recommend making the rim bevel convex, not concave. It'll look more inviting that way. I also think if you leave it flat towards the outer diameter of the top of the bowl, and then roll in the closer you get to the chamber, it'd look better.

As far as the shank goes, it's too small for the size of the bowl. The top line of the shank also seems to curve in as it approaches the bowl. With straight shanks, you actually want them to subtly taper towards the stem. Otherwise they look pinched.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Bevel the rim with sandpaper. Wrap it around a pencil, or just roll it up. It's really easy. Also, I recommend making the rim bevel convex, not concave. It'll look more inviting that way. I also think if you leave it flat towards the outer diameter of the top of the bowl, and then roll in the closer you get to the chamber, it'd look better.

As far as the shank goes, it's too small for the size of the bowl. The top line of the shank also seems to curve in as it approaches the bowl. With straight shanks, you actually want them to subtly taper towards the stem. Otherwise they look pinched.
Great advice on the bevel. I will definately try it this way on the next one. The shank/bowl connection, I was really trying for the "two seperate pieces"thing, but failed. It is also an area that I am trying to pay more attention to. Once i get these areas plus my buttons down I honestly think my pipes will take a huge step forward.

Thanks for the advice and critique!
Kiel