First pipe progress. I have no idea what I'm doing!

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
cmcclarney

First pipe progress. I have no idea what I'm doing!

Post by cmcclarney »

So I went to the Southern Fried Pipe Show in Nashville a couple weekends ago and saw a piece of briar on Premal Chheda's table. Decided to buy it on a whim. They said all I needed was some files and sandpaper. So I've been filing away and sanding at this thing since then trying to find a pipe.

I LITERALLY have no idea what I'm doing. I traced pencil marks over the most pronounced grain patterns on the block and then just went to town with my tools.

Here is my progress so far:
(No clue if those links are gonna work... *crossing fingers*)

So I realize now (after reading through this forum) that I should have DEFINITELY drilled before I started shaping. :/ That would've been good info up front, Premal. ;) JK... Mr Chheda has been so nice over email and phone to offer any assistance I might need. He's gonna help me figure out a way to get this drilled.

But before I potentially mess this up completely I wanted to share it with you guys. And yes, I've seen the way you guys tear someone's hard effort to shreds and I've prepared myself... You can give me your worst. (just be gentle)

My only disclaimer (other than the fact that I POSITIVELY don't know what in the world I'm doing and had never even thought about making a pipe until I saw that piece of briar) would be that the shape it's become was largely dictated by a blemish I just kept sanding - perpetually at what I thought was the end of the spot. What I've learned is that apparently this fissure goes all the way to the pit of hell. I eventually gave up sanding when I felt that it was gonna be impossible to keep it looking symmetrical and drill the holes.

Hopefully I can do a little more shaping after drilling to clean up the shape a bit... but until then it is what it is.:/

The shank might need to loose weight on the top (I'm hoping that after I get a stem fitted I'll see more clearly what needs to happen.) I'm also not in love with the natural edge on the shank face. It's just kinda meh. So that may change too.

No clue what the name of the traditional pipe shape I'm butchering here is, but I'm calling it "Leeroy Jenkins". :lol:

Anyways... My name is Chris. feel free to kick the new guy in the nuts (if you must).
sandahlpipe

Re: First pipe progress. I have no idea what I'm doing!

Post by sandahlpipe »

Welcome, Chris! And I wish you great success with drilling that. The shape doesn't look bad for a first pipe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
cmcclarney

Post by cmcclarney »

Thanks for going easy on me, mate! I've read some of the harsh comments you've made on pipes I thought looked damned-near perfect. Probably just going easy on the new guy. LOL! ;) Either way I appreciate the encouragement.

I feel equal parts embarrassment and pride. On the one hand: it's clear I've obviously got a hell of a lot to learn if I want to make a quality smoking instrument. But on the other: I actually made something that kinda looks like a pipe, and that's pretty cool (at least to me it is).
ronps

Post by ronps »

Hey, the shaping looks pretty good, the grain's properly oriented and the plateau's right where it should be. You're almost home.

The drilling should go fairly easy at this point. I understand a preference for drilling before shaping; you will also find some cogent arguments for shaping before drilling on this forum. First time out, you may wish to get some help with drilling to make sure everything lines up and connects properly. With that, you've got a keeper.

I'm not much further along than you are, and I've spent plenty of time reading from the various topics on this forum. It helps tremendously. Maybe enough to produce a competent pipe in the future.

I was also at the the Nashville Show. Enjoyed it and really enjoyed meeting with and asking questions to the pipe makers there. Great, inspiring experience.

Enjoy.
Red

Post by Red »

Chris,
Good job so far. Take your time on the drilling. Don't know if you have a lathe, but if you do...
Go to the tools section of the Forum and scroll down until you see a post for Jeff Gracik's spoon bits. in that thread there are some videos Jeff did showing (in addition to the use of his tooling) a good illustration of how "freehand" drilling is done. Not truly freehand, you understand, but get's you to the same place in a more foolproof way. If you don't have a lathe, you have more of a challenge, but with a good eye (and maybe a drill press) you can get there.
Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions as necessary.
cmcclarney

Post by cmcclarney »

Thank you so much guys! This is very encouraging. Makes me wanna find another piece of briar and get at it. Although, after reading through this forum I think I'll attempt a more traditional shape. (As opposed to making it up as I go.)

Very helpful suggestion Red! I'm gonna go check it out.

I actually think I've found a friend (who's a pretty great local pipe maker) that'll help me drill this so I don't botch it up. Then I'll probably grab a couple kits and make a few more before I dive into buying equipment. Plus there's something so relaxing about sanding and filing away at a block of wood.
socrates

Post by socrates »

Can't wait to see the completed pipe Chris. So far so good! Slow and steady wins the race. Be sure to post the finished product and welcome aboard.
cmcclarney

Post by cmcclarney »

Thank you socrates! We'll see how bad I botch the staining and buffing (neither of which I have any knowledge) beforee I commit to post the finished product. ;) Also the stem could prove to be a little difficult for a a guy like me. I guess only time will tell. ;)
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

That's a very good start. Working slowly with files and sandpaper is difficult but I think it's good experience for your first attempt.
My advice - do not try to drill it yourself. For someone with no shop experience freehand drilling is an injury waiting to happen.
If possible you should find a pipemaker in your area and ask if they can help you with the drilling, you will have a functional pipe and you will learn a lot in the process.
Good luck! :)
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You have done a very nice job for your first pipe. After you get that drilled, Make your stem. First pipes are special.
cmcclarney

Post by cmcclarney »

I'm honestly shocked you guys have been so kind! HA! Reading through feedback on some other amazing pipes on here had set me up to expect the worst for my humble creation.

W.Pastuch... That's great advice. I was feeling the same thing. (But if I'm honest, I'm less worried about injury, and more worried about ruining my only piece of briar.) You'll be pleased to know that I just heard back from a very good local pipe maker friend, and he's offered to drill it with me. Woohoo! Now onto ordering another piece of briar!

Speaking of... do any of you guys recommend a good place to buy a predrilled blank?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Don't expect as much kindness if you haven't improved after a few pipes. :-) If you've been doing it a year and your pipe still look like this, you'll get a kick in the pants. :-P

Also, it's hard to critique an unfinished pipe. We will probably have more to say once we see it finished.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

Www.vermontfreehand.com is where I would go if I needed a predrilled kit.
cmcclarney

Post by cmcclarney »

Jeremiah,

I'll make a billiard next so you guys can really teach me something. ;) As for this pipe I'll be sure and post pics of the finished product. I can't imagine there's anyway in hell I'll get the stem right the first time around. So you'll have plenty to rag me about.

And thank you, Joe. I'll check out the site right now.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Cool for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing! :lol:
Get Premal to drill it for you.
Oh, and show pics when done.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Something is up????
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Chris,

Send it over and I will drill it for you. Sorry I missed your call.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
cmcclarney

Post by cmcclarney »

PremalChheda wrote:Chris,

Send it over and I will drill it for you. Sorry I missed your call.
Premal, Thank you so much, mate! I've actually got a really great pipe maker friend in town that's agreed to drill it. I do still need to call/email you about getting a stem rod. I might even try and see if you could send me another piece of briar.

By the way: I'm so glad you had that block on your table at the pipe show. I've had a blast shaping it, and subsequently reading so much about pipes. I feel like that simple action has revolutionized my understanding of pipes and how they work. If nothing else you've really helped me take my pipe hobby to the next level. And who knows... maybe I'll be able to make a decent pipe someday too. ;) Thanks!