What makes a high grade pipe: Top five things.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tyler
Site Supporter

What makes a high grade pipe: Top five things.

Post by Tyler »

About the most exciting thing on the forum lately is Sas buying a metal lathe. I want to talk about and read fun conversations, and Sas's lathe can only go so far.

I think many new makers might be surprised what makes for a high grade pipe. (Maybe not?). Anyway, give me the top five things that define a high grade. I think there might be some fun talk to be had with this.

If you are a newbie, don't be afraid to reply.

Ready go!
scotties22

Re: What makes a high grade pipe: Top five things.

Post by scotties22 »

1. Sas didn't make it
2. Sas didn't make it
3. Sas didn't make it
4. Sas didn't make it
5. Sas didn't make it

:takethat: :takethat: :takethat: :lol: :lol:

It's going to be interesting to read the replies to this. Going to give it some thought and reply a little later on. :D
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

scotties22 wrote:1. Sas didn't make it
2. Sas didn't make it
3. Sas didn't make it
4. Sas didn't make it
5. Sas didn't make it

:takethat: :takethat: :takethat: :lol: :lol:

It's going to be interesting to read the replies to this. Going to give it some thought and reply a little later on. :D

You win. :lol:
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well so far thoughts of your friendly fuzzy 'Squatch have dominated a thread ostensibly about high-grade pipes. The irony of this is not lost on your humble narrator.

I was asked the other day, by an up-and-coming pipe maker if I made high grade pipes. I laughed, and said, dude, I don't know. I don't know what makes a "high grade" pipe. The best definition from a few years ago was I think Rad's: If you are charging four hundred dollars a pipe and there's a line-up, you are making high-grade pipes.

Trouble is, there's real expensive pipes that might not be high-grades, there's guys who are making stupendous pipes for 300 bucks.

Add into this from a personal point of view a comment that another pipe maker aimed at me (this is live, in person, not a jab on the 'net) - he said something to the effect of "I see you as a crafstman rather than an artist." and I didn't disagree. If the corollary is that he's an artist more than a craftsman, is it also the case that he's a high-grade pipe maker?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Rad's: If you are charging four hundred dollars a pipe and there's a line-up, you are making high-grade pipes.
Love that quote. Leave it to Rad to make a lot of sense.

Okay so the following is my conception of what qualifies as a high grade pipe.

1. Proper engineering (draft hole alignment, open slots in stems, etc.)
2. designs that demonstrate careful execution (no wavy lines where they should be straight)
3. Better finishes
4. Made by one or several artisans (not mass produced at a factory)
5. General increased attention to detail

Pretty lame I know. If I were so ask Joe blow pipesmoker what he thought I bet it would be more like this:

1. Smokes better
2. Looks cooler
3. costs more
4. made by one carver
5. crazy shapes, finishes, materials

I'm really looking forward to hearing from others on this one...
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

1. Quality of all aspects of the pipe
2. Quality
3. Quality
4. Quality
5. Quality
rdpipes.briar.club
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

1. Visual beauty of shape
2. Perfection of materials (flawless briar, maximized grain orientation, adornments flawless etc)
3. Perfection of execution - no marks, scratches, ragged pulls from Nate's dull tooling, no wobble in the shaping
4. Hopefully perfection of internal construction
5. If there's a compromise to be made between form and function, form wins.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

1. Properly cut stem airway
2. Attention to detail
3. Aesthetically pleasing, balanced, and harmonious designs
4. All unnecessary material is removed from the pipe
5. Exceptional fit and finish.

Before every Joe pipemaker and his brother started making pipes and selling them for $400 even though they sucked I would have agreed with Rad's definition. The "high grade" market has been muddied by substandard pipes at "high grade" prices though so I don't think price is a fitting definition any longer.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

The biggest part of this whole thing I believe is what most guys (if not everyone) include in their list: attention to detail. This single rule covers all aspects of high grade pipe making.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Nate wrote:The biggest part of this whole thing I believe is what most guys (if not everyone) include in their list: attention to detail. This single rule covers all aspects of high grade pipe making.
But how does that fit into Tyler's 5 points? Leave it to a preacher to make 5 points out of one. :D
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
Nate

Post by Nate »

sandahlpipe wrote:
Nate wrote:The biggest part of this whole thing I believe is what most guys (if not everyone) include in their list: attention to detail. This single rule covers all aspects of high grade pipe making.
But how does that fit into Tyler's 5 points? Leave it to a preacher to make 5 points out of one. :D
:lol:
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

Sasquatch wrote: 5. If there's a compromise to be made between form and function, form wins.
I respectfully disagree...

In a high grade pipe, there should never be a need for a compromise between the two.

Otherwise, a pipe is a pipe, and not just a piece of furniture, because it is meant to be smoked. In this regard, you should never compromise function.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Does reputation of the carver play into our perception of a high grade pipe?
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

scotties22 wrote:Does reputation of the carver play into our perception of a high grade pipe?
It doesn't play into my perception but it certainly does play into the consumers perception. There's an interesting group think phenomenon that occurs in just about any collecting community that I find interesting but annoying. The consumer sometimes elevates people and brands to almost mythological status. Dunhill is a good example. Maybe I'm just not wired like everyone else but I don't think something is amazing just because someone tells me it is or the majority says it is so it must be. I decide for myself. I also don't get starstruck by famous people either. Maybe I'm just not very easily impressed.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I think Nate nailed it, but I'll play.

1. Slot work
2. Button work
3. Fit
4. Finish
5. Masterful execution of 1-4

I didn't include engineering because it's easy by comparison. If someone can't engineer a pipe well, then they should quit.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
RDPowell

Post by RDPowell »

wdteipen wrote:
scotties22 wrote:Does reputation of the carver play into our perception of a high grade pipe?
It doesn't play into my perception but it certainly does play into the consumers perception. There's an interesting group think phenomenon that occurs in just about any collecting community that I find interesting but annoying. The consumer sometimes elevates people and brands to almost mythological status. Dunhill is a good example. Maybe I'm just not wired like everyone else but I don't think something is amazing just because someone tells me it is or the majority says it is so it must be. I decide for myself. I also don't get starstruck by famous people either. Maybe I'm just not very easily impressed.
I see this all the time though I'm not a Dunhill fan I've seen it in other well established so called higher grade brands.
On several occasions I've bought a pipe from one and seen flaws such as ripples in the stem of stummel, ill fitting stem
to shank, gurgle, etc. That's not saying all there pipes are this way but, only a low percentage. Maybe it was made on Friday
or the carver was suffering an illness, etc. I usually excuse them whether I should or not but, to produce a constant flow of
ill pipes is inexcusable as far as I'm concerned. But, like most everything nowadays the majority of the public pays for a name and seldom for quality unless there educated to the fact.
rdpipes.briar.club
fiddlestix

Post by fiddlestix »

d.huber wrote:I think Nate nailed it, but I'll play.

1. Slot work
2. Button work
3. Fit
4. Finish

I didn't include engineering because it's easy by comparison. If someone can't engineer a pipe well, then they should quit.
I would agree with these, as well as your comment about engineering. Only difference in my list, and maybe you're covering this in number 5, is that shaping is top of the list to me. It is, IMO, the most abstract and difficult part of pipe making to learn (at least from a new guys perspective). I think Geiger is a good example of this. Even when they create a really different shape, the lines and curves seem to flow effortlessly. Even shapes that I don't personally care for, I can usually appreciate the thought that goes into the choices they make about their lines... if that makes any sense.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

WCannoy wrote:
Otherwise, a pipe is a pipe, and not just a piece of furniture, because it is meant to be smoked. In this regard, you should never compromise function.
See, I'm not sure this applies to a certain part of the high-grade community. It applies to what I build, but again, maybe I don't build high-grade pipes, I just build pretty good ones.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If there is anything wrong with the engineering of a pipe, I have a hard time considering it a high grade. I don't care what other people think. It may be a nice piece of art, but it's not a pipe if it's not properly engineered, let alone a high grade.

Then again, there are many pipes that are properly engineered and still not high grades. I consider mine to fit this category. It's a necessary condition for a high grade, but not a sufficient one.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

fiddlestix wrote:
d.huber wrote:I think Nate nailed it, but I'll play.

1. Slot work
2. Button work
3. Fit
4. Finish

I would agree with these, as well as your comment about engineering. Only difference in my list, and maybe you're covering this in number 5, is that shaping is top of the list to me. It is, IMO, the most abstract and difficult part of pipe making to learn (at least from a new guys perspective). I think Geiger is a good example of this. Even when they create a really different shape, the lines and curves seem to flow effortlessly. Even shapes that I don't personally care for, I can usually appreciate the thought that goes into the choices they make about their lines... if that makes any sense.
Interesting thoughts. I was ready to disagree, but I think you may very well be right. I suppose if I changed my #5, it'd be shaping. Keep in mind that the stuff I mentioned are all of fairly equal weight, IMO, and should be masterfully executed to warrant a high grade.

If I could add a #6, I'd list grain. Ah hell, let's revamp.

1. Smooth with reality deforming grain
2. A gorgeous shape
3. A body of work to compare to
4. A name to back it up
5. Excellent technical execution
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard