Keeping Warm in your Shop

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
mcgregorpipes

Re: Keeping Warm in your Shop

Post by mcgregorpipes »

so I'm building a shop and they electrical inspector thinks i need gx heaters, something about sawdust being explosive. anyone have experience with those?
Alden

Post by Alden »

Tyler wrote: (I want to be like Bruce!)
Who doesn't want to be like Bruce ? That guy has it figured out.
andrew

Post by andrew »

mcgregorpipes wrote:so I'm building a shop and they electrical inspector thinks i need gx heaters, something about sawdust being explosive. anyone have experience with those?
I've never heard that recommendation before. You're not building an industrial facility.

andrew
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

The inspector is correct in that sawdust is explosive. ANY dust in the right concentration is explosive (think grain elevators). However, I would think that one would have to have all the shop doors closed with no dust extractors what so ever and be running several 36 grit wheels full bore in order to reach an explosive level. A person would have trouble breathing. Now, there are probably some people out there in the world that are dumb enough to do that so it is in the realm of possibility but not probability.
You would probably have a stroke when you saw your electric bill running a heater of that type, especially with cold Canadian winters.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

So I guess last week before power was turned on to the new shop the electrician mentioned to electrical inspector the shop was going to be used for carpentry. So the electrical inspector says any wood working in here makes the building class 3 division 1 and everything needs to be class div rated. all the wall outlets need to have dust proof covers, dust collector needs to be in its own room, panel needs to be walled off dust proof, standard t5 lights are a no go they get too hot, construction heaters also no go because of the exposed elements, forced air electric heat also not ok, bx cable runs not dust proof need to use conduit, any hard wired saws need to be on interlocks with the dust collector, the list went on. they know its a shop for a small business, and yah I do other carpentry type projects in there but I guess some where there's a line
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

mcgregorpipes wrote:So I guess last week before power was turned on to the new shop the electrician mentioned to electrical inspector the shop was going to be used for carpentry. So the electrical inspector says any wood working in here makes the building class 3 division 1 and everything needs to be class div rated. all the wall outlets need to have dust proof covers, dust collector needs to be in its own room, panel needs to be walled off dust proof, standard t5 lights are a no go they get too hot, construction heaters also no go because of the exposed elements, forced air electric heat also not ok, bx cable runs not dust proof need to use conduit, any hard wired saws need to be on interlocks with the dust collector, the list went on. they know its a shop for a small business, and yah I do other carpentry type projects in there but I guess some where there's a line
Sounds like you got royally screwed! If they make you do all that it will be quite expensive. Big mouth electrician.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

mcgregorpipes wrote:So I guess last week before power was turned on to the new shop the electrician mentioned to electrical inspector the shop was going to be used for carpentry. So the electrical inspector says any wood working in here makes the building class 3 division 1 and everything needs to be class div rated. all the wall outlets need to have dust proof covers, dust collector needs to be in its own room, panel needs to be walled off dust proof, standard t5 lights are a no go they get too hot, construction heaters also no go because of the exposed elements, forced air electric heat also not ok, bx cable runs not dust proof need to use conduit, any hard wired saws need to be on interlocks with the dust collector, the list went on. they know its a shop for a small business, and yah I do other carpentry type projects in there but I guess some where there's a line
I would be telling the electrician to not expect any more of your business since he can't keep his big fucking mouth shut! What does he care what you are using the shop for?? Put the fucking electrical in...get paid....walk away. Are he and the inspector butt buddies or something? I would have a hard time not beating him to death with his own arm after that. :filth-n-foul:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Jeez, that's bad luck! No chance of staying quiet and letting it die?
Alden

Post by Alden »

I'd tell him you changed your mind and decided you will only use the space to store safety equipment.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

LatakiaLover wrote:Image
Now now George, don't be too harsh on our neighbors to the north. At least they have someone that was not afraid to shoot first and ask questions later inre to the terrorist SOB. Sorry Obama but I'm calling it what it was.

GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

oklahoma red wrote:At least they have someone that was not afraid to shoot first and ask questions later inre to the terrorist SOB. Sorry Obama but I'm calling it what it was. GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!
I missed a news item somehow, what happened?
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

SmokeyBert wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:At least they have someone that was not afraid to shoot first and ask questions later inre to the terrorist SOB. Sorry Obama but I'm calling it what it was. GO ROYALS!!!!!!!!
Canada is going to invade the US and require all to speak French.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

baweaverpipes wrote:
SmokeyBert wrote:
Canada is going to invade the US and require all to speak French.
Sacre' merde!!!! Say it isn't so Bruce.

Hmmm, you're almost into Canada and you didn't hear about the incident? Are you on the northern peninsula in a cave? Google up shooting in Ottawa and read all about it.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I would look into it, got to be a way around it. If nothing works, then I think Scottie has a good grasp on it.
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

oklahoma red wrote:Hmmm, you're almost into Canada and you didn't hear about the incident? Are you on the northern peninsula in a cave? Google up shooting in Ottawa and read all about it.
Ah I had heard about the shooting at the memorial but not all of the details as of yet.

As fallout over the shootings: " the Canadian government introduced a bill to expand the powers of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), Canada's spy agency"

Funny how our government feels it needs to blow up thousands of people with a ridiculous facade of crashing airplanes and all the Canadians need to do is shoot two soldiers to trigger the response they need for the government power grab.

:evil:
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

scotties22 wrote: I would be telling the electrician to not expect any more of your business since he can't keep his big fucking mouth shut! What does he care what you are using the shop for?? Put the fucking electrical in...get paid....walk away. Are he and the inspector butt buddies or something? I would have a hard time not beating him to death with his own arm after that. :filth-n-foul:

This is a good idea, thank you for your subtle female perspective.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

That's me alright....subtle and soft spoken ;)

My husband and I own 3 small businesses and I hate when someone does something stupid like this to us. It is soooo unnecessary. All so the local municipality can make some extra money off the folks that just really don't have it.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
andrew

Post by andrew »

scotties22 wrote:That's me alright....subtle and soft spoken ;)

My husband and I own 3 small businesses and I hate when someone does something stupid like this to us. It is soooo unnecessary. All so the local municipality can make some extra money off the folks that just really don't have it.
Not to stir hate and discontent... generally electrical inspections are from the state. Local building inspectors don't generally like charging fees to people they can run into in the checkout line ;)
(speaking as one who works for a local municipality :) )

andrew
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I think that varies from place to place. Where I live, inspections are done by the county/city (the county is almost all one city) and our "community owned" utilities monopoly can and will disconnect services for outstanding permit issues. They wouldn't connect a newly installed sewage line at my old house because of an outstanding HVAC permit that was from before I owned the house. So, in addition to the thousands I had already spent on the sewage line, I had to pay to have a city inspector sign off on my perfectly fine AC unit. Small town politics are pretty different from large city politics.