Using Files…

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
alexanderfrese

Using Files…

Post by alexanderfrese »

Searching ebay with just the keyword »Feile« which is the German word for a file (luckily enough there is no second meaning as in english, for a file on a computer or a paper), I came across lots of files used for fingernail-treatment. This is not really boy's stuff, but I started thinking if someone ever tried these in pipemaking. They are kind of flexible – not as tough as a steel file, not as weak as sandpaper, they have clearly defined edges, and they (at least the finest) are used for polishing fingernails. So at least in stem work, they could be worth a try.

Anyone ever gave those a try?

Or are we all afraid of our wives coming in with that puzzled look on their faces: »Oh, I never realized you are using those, too…«

:roll:
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Actually, I have used an emery board which is also used for fingernail treatment. Although it is not metal it is kind of spongy and can come in handy in some instances. As for the flexible metal files used for finger nails, I have not tried that but I would say it is worth a shot. My feeling is, if it works use it.

My tool box is collecting quite a number of unorthodox tools for my pipe making endeavors, but they all have there purpose and usefullness.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I use finger nail "files" all the time. In fact, I regularly hit the beauty supply store and buy various grits by the handful. They are wonderful.
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

I have also used emery boards, but I have also used buffing files for nails on detail work and finishing buttons on stems... The buffing ones do a really good job.
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Tyler wrote:…I regularly hit the beauty supply store…
Yep, that’s just what I feared. All those beauty-stile-your-nails-stores here are – to me – somewhat restricted to those kind of blondes who even can't work on their own nails… Most often door to door with some solarium etablissement.
And speciality supply stores (no matter what goods) open for everyone, that's what we her in GER lack anyway. They may be there somewhere… And I don't even live in a small town.

But anyway thank you all.

BTW: Do you use them on the mouthpiece only or are they of any help on some bowl finishing, too?
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

The beauty supply shop is a good idea. Hadn't thought of that. These forums are GREAT !!!!
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
Jeffery

Post by Jeffery »

I've used them mostly on stemwork, but I've been know to do some detail work with them where the shank and bowl meet on the stummel...
marks

Post by marks »

I've not used fingernail files yet, but after this post, I will try them.

I typically have used bastard files, chainsaw files, a neat little triangular shaped file, and a Nicholson file I got from MSC.

This Nicholson file is pretty cool. It is a fairly aggressive cut, but leaves a smoother surface than other files, and the surface is easy to smooth out with sandpaper. I use this one a lot when shaping stems. I don't remember the model number of the file, but the description is what caught my attention, and it has worked as described.