Does your briar talk to you?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
NvilleDave

Does your briar talk to you?

Post by NvilleDave »

Occaionally I'll have a block say something... it's usually something like "At least Trever would have gotten the proportions right." Or the other day when I was tossing a stummel onto the "dead" pile it said "Jack Howell would have at least taken me fishing". Once, when I was opening shipment of briar, as I was taking the last piece out of the box it cried out "See! I told you morons Jody Davis moved out of Nashville." I get no respect...

Dave
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Dave

I think you need to get out more often . . . Some fresh air might help ! 8)
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
JMB

Post by JMB »

Mine always say's "well what did you expect cheapskate" you could have a good piece for a few bucks more!!!! :boohoo:
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

My briar and I have not talked in days... it got mad at me for grinding it's little brothers down.
smokepiper

briartalk

Post by smokepiper »

If they are the nasty and gets down on you there is a way to make them dead silent. Take one of them and make sure the others sees the event, with a magic move you change the block in your hand to a block from the trashbin and put it under the drillpress and like a maniac you push the drill through the block a hundred times. And a loud euforic scream you turn back to the other blocks and.... WHO`S NEXT!!!!! 8O
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

You guys aren't smoking tobacco in your pipes are you? :)
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

ROFL!!

I have a few block from Germany who criticise me for not working in the shop enough. They don't sewem to get on well with the blocks I got from Canada either. The only time they really agree is when I have a beer in hand, then there all like, "Ohh I'm zo parched! Beer bitte." Or they'll go on about how I should drink good beer and "not that American crap." Recently though, my wife picked up some Molson. Man the Canadian blocks loved thet. They were like, "You're not gonna finish that, eh?"
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick,

Shhhhh... Don't say anything. Don't look around. Just act casual. Pretend like your just reading another post about pipes.

When you are sure no block of wood is looking then read the rest of this post.

I think you have some imposters in your midst. I'm not sure why or which ones but you and your family may be in danger. Some of the "briar" blocks you have are fake. At worst they could be spying on you, at best they may just be trying to come into the country illegaly. How did I figure this out, you say? Because they've fooled you into thinking that they are "canadian briar!"
Nick wrote:Man the Canadian blocks loved thet
There is no such thing as canadian briar!!!!

RUN!!!
JMB

Post by JMB »

Ben, out standing. Best I have heard in a long time. LOL big time
Nick

Post by Nick »

OK, I'm at work, so I think I'm safe. There are a few pipes near me, but I think I can trust them. No such thing as Canadian Briar? But but but the guy said it was genuine briar. Top quality. D'OHH! That slippery Michael Parks must have pulled one over on me. I'm a bit suspicious of my German briar no too. Yeeaa, there aren't any arid mountainsides in Germany either! Man! I bet Roland Schwarz and Parks are in it together! I just wish I'd gotten some of that Texas briar Tyler had been selling.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

At the risk of dragging the thread off into an 'artsy' direction, one of the best ever examples that I've found of the medium speaking to the artist was a little poem in the graphic novella "Cages", which is one of the better meditations on the nature of creativity that I've read. I understood this little ditty at a gut level back when I was painting, and I think it applies to virginal blocks of briar equally well.

"Drawing a Blank"

The Permanent White, without a fight
let the brushes, such as they were,
rather dog-eared, a bit of a sight,
mix and match the colors. "Right",
said Michelangelo.
"What are you inside?"
And the paper replied,
"Sod off, you spick!
I'm white and perfect
I'm lightly textured
I'm cumuli, ivory, Tuscany walls.
Intrinsically natural
I'm equadrilateral.
If you're going to mark me,
you'd better be worthy.
Can you really improve me?
Have you got the balls?

The paper
piety
The artist
anxiety
And sensing a win for inanimate things,
the rug
looked smug.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Thanks Trevor. Don't ever be shy sharing an aesthetic idea here. 8)
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com