Stephen Downie pipes

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
magruder

Stephen Downie pipes

Post by magruder »

Check out these cool pipes:
http://www.pipedo.com/pipes/downie_e.html

Nice work Stephen :thumb:

Dude, you should definitely raise your prices. :wink:
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Wow. Awesome.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

Wow, didn't expect to see a thread with my name on it whe I logged in. Thanks very much for the kind words! I actually raised my prices after Chicago and probably won't raise them again for a while. I'm still trying to get my pipes smoked and interest up.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Stephen!
Just looked across your website. Besides that fact that I like other shapes, I am quite inpressed with the pipes. Esp. the progress visible from 2004 to 2005.

Just one thing. It may be a big concern, if you already do (or plan to) increase sales over your website. If this part of contact is of less importance to you, stop reading here.
The look of it all is way beyond line. What line? It's the line of your pipes! They have a standard, which is clearly higher than the presentation's level. There is no given standard, but the pics whisper a promise like "C'mon, it's worth the price…", although they might be improved too.
But the rest of the look and feel of the web presentation feels like a homebrewn "Web-design-easy-ver.0.1-freeware" piece of crap. To say it pipe-like: It looks like some first clumsy outcome of a cheap predrilled briar-kit.
:naughty:
Sorry for expressing myself that rude. It's pretty hot right here, right now. If your site told something about some weird hobby nobody wants to know about, I would not even rise an eyebrow. But if you want to sell those beauties for their price, the site should be supporting that in every possible way. There should be some serious sanding and polishing on that part of business, too!
Get in touch with some webdesigner, let him or her develop a look and a structure, that can be maintained by you alone in the long run. So there will be just one ouch for the money going out, and a long time of you setting up lots of shiny pipes in that appropriate presentation.

If I am the only one to tell you so, and all the others don't get it, it might as well be that it looks good on Internet Explorer Windows (I'm on a Mac). But I used three different browsers, and it didn't get much better…

Being completely OT again…

:roll:
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

No offence taken and thanks for the opinion. I actually wrote the code myself so it's not like I can blame a generator for any issues with the site :?. There have been some improvements I've been planning on, but perhaps I should give it a look over with a more critical eye and think about a total redesign. At the moment hiring a web developer isn't in the budget so it'll be me photoshop and notepad. Thanks for your thoughts.
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Just as an idea…

Make it a lot brighter. Leave all that brown to the briar of your pipes. Smaller typo for the navigation on the left. Check that all the columns (text and pics) align. Try to get pictures on same width, etc.
Straighten it out. No need for any bling bling. Evrything has to stand back. The fanfare comes from your work, not from some animated gif.

If you do some redesign, let me know. Maybe I can help with some tips.
Thank you for not taking any offence.

Alex