My first Bamboo made in Oregon

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BDP

My first Bamboo made in Oregon

Post by BDP »

Everyone,
No Coppermine up presently, so I'll post my latest here... nice piece of bamboo I bought from Tyler at Chicago...

Long Live the spirit of 1776- Have a great Independence Day!

Brad
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Very nice Brad! You have really got that rustication looking deep and craggly, which is good in my opinion!
marks

Post by marks »

That is very nice Brad. Love the rustication, and the finish on the briar.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

Brad that's beautiful! Did you start out intending to rusticate it--if not, the briar did you a favor because the rustication looks FANTASTIC. Did you use the nail tool or some other technique?

Dave
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

One more comment--the knuckles on that piece of bamboo look almost perfect--it's a gorgeous piece.

Big thanks to Tyler for encouraging everyone to work with the stuff--I was never a bamboo fan but now I'm firmly in the "I love it" crowd.

Dave
BDP

Post by BDP »

Thanks you guys,

The pipe was already reserved by a customer, who had the initial symptoms of PAD, but his wife rushed in with some "antibiotics", if you know what I mean... it's back on the market for the time being...
Dave, yes I am using the nail tool, but I have come up with some extra tools as well- gouges, files, brushes and the like, and I am using them in combinations so that the surface does not end up as uniform as might otherwise result.
The pipe started as a canted Lumberman with a longer round shank, but there were some sand pits in it. Also, I was not happy with the initial shape of the bowl, tried to change it, and made it worse! Eventually, I used it to practice with my stamp, and had five stamps on the shank. After that, I threw it on a shelf and figured I'd stick a stem into it and smoke it in the shop. A week or so ago, I picked it up again while cleaning the shop. There was still enough wood on the walls of the bowl, and all of a sudden the vision for this pipe came into my head. From there on out, everything went smoothly in it's creation, except the shank/bamboo joint. After several hours of struggle, I made a lathe chuck arbour that works beautifully holding the pipe by the mortise hole steadily, while cutting the face of the joint. If that is of interest to anyone, I will go into further detail.
Yes, I did set out with the intention of rusticating the pipe, as I have no sandblaster of my own, and I hate having to ask my acquaintance down the road to use his. I thought the bamboo would be better complimented with a craggy, rather than smooth, finish. Furthermore, I love the finish color- I'm calling it my Peanut Brittle finish- and knew that I would be able to achieve it with this particular piece of wood, and that the combo of the Cumerland and bamboo would compliment the finish color. It is truly a "feather-weight" pipe. I need to get a digital scale to weigh my pipes, but I would guesstimate it at approximately .7 OZ. I found out Todd uses a chainsaw file to blend his joints, and I had one in my drawer, so I used it for that purpose, and it worked wonderfully! Thank You, Todd...
As a pipesmoker myself, this is one of those that I would love to snag as my own, but then, that is exactly why it needs to be made available to the public. Tom Eltang told me in Chicago that is how you know when you have a nice one- you want it for yourself! There's some wisdom in that...

Brad
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

BDP wrote: After several hours of struggle, I made a lathe chuck arbour that works beautifully holding the pipe by the mortise hole steadily, while cutting the face of the joint. If that is of interest to anyone, I will go into further detail.

Brad
Brad,
I would love to hear further details on the arbor you came up with.

Since coppermine is down for the moment you could email me some pics--would be mucho appreciated.

Dave
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Brad,

Beautiful pipe! Awesome bamboo and fantastic rustication!

Also, I would interested in hearing more detail about the lathe chuck arbor.

Thanks,
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
magruder

Post by magruder »

Arbor Chuck! Arbor Chuck! Arbor Chuck! Arbor Chuck! Arbor Chuck!

Brad,
Nice pipe, Man. Very balanced looking. I am not a big fan of bamboo,
but this is a good looking pipe.
So many times, IMHO, bamboo shanks overpower the pipe as a whole, making it look like a collection of parts and not a WHOLE pipe.
This is a nice exception. My compliments.
-Steve
BDP

Bamboo Pipe

Post by BDP »

Steve,

Wow! Thanks, that is really a great observation. I know exactly what you mean about the eye breaking the pipe into sections. I kind of feel that way about the Cobra on my site- didn't when I made it, but do now. I think it needs a simpler mouthpiece to fix the problem with my eye. Anyhow, it is really gratifying to like this bamboo pipe personally, and have others feel the same way. I'd really like to see it sell, and be lit up by someone who feels the same!

Thanks Again,
Brad
Last edited by BDP on Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
magruder

Post by magruder »

Yo Brad,
I'd be surprised if it was around long.
-S.