Hand Drilling

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
josh_ford

Hand Drilling

Post by josh_ford »

I am a College student living in Chicago. This is a problem with pipemaking. 1) I live in Chicago=apartment=no workspace. 2) I'm a college student=no $$ for fancy pants equipment. I do, however, have access to a drill and a vice which is currently the only way that I can drill my pipes. I was wondering if anyone had any hints on how to drill accurately by hand? I'm hoping there is something more than just a steady hand. I have learned a lot from the few drillings I've done but I see a huge potential for flawed work and frustrated grimaces. Do I have to just settle with "that was pretty close" until I buckle down and buy some machinery?

Josh
Frank

Post by Frank »

@Josh
Need a little more info.
Is it a hand drill or a drill press? If it's a drill press, does the press have a vise?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Hand drill but I have a good vice.

Josh
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That's a tough call. I think you're probably doing it the hardest way I've ever seen anyone do it. If I was trying to do it that way, I'd drop the drill in the vice and push the stummel into the drill bit by hand - but that's just me.

If space is a serious problem, I'd really consider getting a smallish drill press, maybe a 9-inch or so. If money is also a real problem, I'd look at Sears or Home Depot for something inexpensive.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Josh

I started doing my pipes that way drilling by hand...and you know what didnt work out to well as it is very hard to get the holes lined up right ...I wouldnt reccomend it...mighe help slighly with what kurt described but its a tough shot...

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I think Downie drills with a hand drill holding the stummel in his other hand. Maybe he can give us some insight on his process. I would imagine shaping first and then drawing a center axis on each side, top and bottom to use as a guide would be best.

something like what you see on the stummel that is still in process here. I took this pic from Todd's site.

geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

its doable for sure... but its a skill that needs quite a bit of practice..also you will need to get a reshaped spiral drill or a rotary rasp to drill the tbchamber by hand like that... a spade bit just wont do...have you made any pipe from a pre- bored kit?

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
StephenDownie

Post by StephenDownie »

I drill my draught hole by hand, but I've never drilled my tobacco chamber or mortise by hand. I could be wrong, but didn't Pimo have some sort of rig set up described in their book that uses a hand drill for the tobacco Chamber?
Stephen Downie
www.downiepipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

StephenDownie wrote:I could be wrong, but didn't Pimo have some sort of rig set up described in their book that uses a hand drill for the tobacco Chamber?
Indeed they do. It's one of those "if you really haven't got anything better than this" type of tools though. It'd probably work well enough for the hobbyist.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
josh_ford

Post by josh_ford »

Thanks for all of the help everyone. What does that PIMO rig look like? I've been doing this mostly by the seat of my pants from different maker's web-pages and this site.

Josh
Nick

Post by Nick »

You could pick up one of those drill press rigs that you attach a hand drill too.

Lemme see if i can find a link: http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_de ... ll%20press

Here ya go. This thing may be the cheap way to go. At least you're not totally relying on your hand to make things strait.