Need to build a stand.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Tano

Need to build a stand.

Post by Tano »

Bought the Delta Midi, and now comes the stand. I've tossed many ideas around in my mind, but nothing has comes closer in apearance of solidity and strength, than Tyler's lathe stand. I saw bits of it in his carve's bio.
What the picture doesn't show is the bottom part of the stand. So my question is, are the building blocks, he use as pillars, also connected at the bottom, or are they just free standing?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Tano,

My stand is made up of 2x6's at the bottom. I don't remember the lengths, but something like 3' long with 2, 8" 2x6 feet underneath. There is a hole through the base through which I bolted a 3'-ish long all-thread bolt that provided rigity for the stacked cinder blocks, and bolts down the angle iron that the lathe is mounted upon.

It is definitely a stable and heavy base that allows me to belly right up to the lathe. Be sure to adjust the height of the lathe so that the axis of rotation of the lathe is the height of your elbow. That is the "appropriate" height for comfortable wook according to the turning experts.

Tyler

EDIT: I did a quick Google, and much to my surprise I found a web site that has the original instructions I used to build my stand:

http://www.kestrelcreek.com/Articles/Mi ... _stand.htm
Tano

Post by Tano »

Thanks Tyler, that is awsome, couldn't ask for anything better.
much appreciated, Tano.