New Shape Opinions wanted

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
geigerpipes

New Shape Opinions wanted

Post by geigerpipes »

This pipe along with 3 brothers have been lying round the shop since last fall as they all had construction problems with their original shanks but the other day I came up with a way to fix the hole mess...

This one is the first to be finished and since I only had crap bamboo lying around I made an imitation out of ebonite Now I think this is a pipe you eather love or hate but I like it very comfy to clench with its meer weight of 36 grams

So I may change the shank extension material and also mabey the ange of the shank..

Tell me what you think

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
Webpage www.geigerpipes.com
News/Blog http://news.geigerpipes.com/
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Love,

I think that is a fantastic shape. I really like the pipe. In my opinion, I would not change the angle. Very interesting and very very cool!

Awesome job!
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I think it's an incredibly cool idea. Personally, I would change the angle of the shank, or perhaps more bend to the vulcanite, (or both) but overall I think it's a very interesting pipe.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

With that angle of the shank you limit your audience but who cares.... it is a cool looking pipe.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

Love, are you any relation to the Swedish illustrator H. R. Gieger? That pipe has a bio-machanical look to it that reminds me of his stuff. For those that don't know, H. R. Gieger designed the creatures and scenery for the movie Alien.
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Thx for your opinions guys

was just bending the shank a little more...

John I have gotten that question several times before and curiously enough always from americans...no im not related to him although that would be cool..his name is H.R. giger and I do belive he is a german not swedish anyways...

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

LOL oops my bad.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Beatuiful pipe, and very unique. I think it's great the way it is, but also look forward to seeing how this evolves as you explore it. Very interesting pipe, Love!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Love,

That is a great pipe!

I love the vulcanite "bamboo"! Very well done! Awesome pipe!

Congratulations!

Rad
munkey

Post by munkey »

I'd buy it!

Very nice work.
NvilleDave

Post by NvilleDave »

I really like the way you're making "bamboo"--I remember one other pipe you did where you made a piece from boxwood (I think is was boxwood).

The shape reminds me of "The Hungry Caterpillar"--I don't know why but that was what popped in my mind when I saw it.

I love the pipe and love the shape. The only thing I have a question about is I remember reading something in P&T when they had a pipe design contest--it was something about the bowl shouldn't be canted forward more than a certain degree. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Anyway, how much of a cant forward is too much?

Dave
sethile

Post by sethile »

NvilleDave wrote:The only thing I have a question about is I remember reading something in P&T when they had a pipe design contest--it was something about the bowl shouldn't be canted forward more than a certain degree. Anyone remember what I'm talking about? Anyway, how much of a cant forward is too much?
Oh, I'd be interested in what that limit was said to be too. I made a feable attampt at a canted Poker a couple of weeks ago. I notice now that the the top 1/8th and top of the bowl toward the stem is starting to char much more than I'm used too. Perhaps I was just not careful enough in lighting it, but I don't tend to have smoking technique issues like that. Could it be that is the concern on the cant limit? Certainly seems to make sense there would be "issues" at some point.
Scott E. Thile
---------------------
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I have seen pipes from a lot of really high end carvers that have extreme cants forward. I am not sure there really is a rule.

Check out the cant on this one...

RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi John,

That pipe is way canted when it's sitting on it's little foot, but when it's in the smoker's mouth wouldn't it be much less canted and more like a standard bent pipe?

Rad
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I was thinking that considering the bend of the stem the pipe would hang just about the same way it sits.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

This Tokutomi is pretty far canted too

sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, the one John posted is a beautiful pipe... Like Rad, I think once that one was in smoking position the cant would not be near as pronounced. Boy is that ever a nice pipe! The Tokutomi looks to me like it would staighten out when in smoking position too, but it's hard to say without trying it out, or at least seeing pics with the bit leval.

I looked at my canted semi-poker that I did have cant related issues with again:
This one really does have too much cant while in smoking position. You can see the stem angle is leval at the same point as it sites, where as the ones posted look like they sit much more canted than where they would smoke. Looks to me like the char problem on mine happened while lighting, at list on the rim. Guess I'm going to have to be more careful becuase of the excessive cant. Seemed to smoke fine other than the char issue, but I'd be willing to bet it will burn out in the upper part of the bowl, as well as have a tendancy to char on the rim there.
Scott E. Thile
---------------------
geigerpipes

Post by geigerpipes »

Thx you guys ..Im glad you like the shape..

This type of bamboo imitation was easyer to make than the ones i did in boxwood with the knuckels and all since the ebonite one could be done mostly in the lathe..

After i bent the shank some more the stem is now in a 90 degree angle to the tb chamber..I dont know the limit for forward chanted bowls but I know that on for example my logo pipes witch are forward chanted you have to take extra time to get it it properly and use maches not to char the backside..as long as the tobacco doesnt fall out :P

Will post some pics once i get time of the modified pipe

Best

Love
www.geigerpipes.com
Smoke in peace!!

Love
OleFattGuy

Forward cant

Post by OleFattGuy »

Hmm. I may be missing out on some subtlety here but...
If a forward cant shouldnt be more than lets say perhaps 10? 20? degrees off of the straight angle, then what about Cuttys like this(someone else's):
Image?

Or Horns like this(not mine either):

Image?

I have myself made a Poker type pipe with a hefty forward cant but it's only my third pipe (and I am sorry to say it doesn't smoke to good either) so forgive the execution:

Another one I've tried to do has a really "lying-down", Horn-like expression, but I havent smoked it yet...
(it's standing on its rim with the stem jutting out towards you in this picture).

Are you saying that these pipes have a "forbidden" forward cant?
Last edited by OleFattGuy on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

for what it's worth the owner of this pipe has told me that it smokes and holds tobacco just fine: