The pipe #9 that I killed...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
ScoJo

The pipe #9 that I killed...

Post by ScoJo »

Guess I didn't think I could pop a beefy shank like this one. Ugly block, but I kinda liked the shape...

flix

Post by flix »

Hey ScoJo,

You can save that stummel if you just re-drill the mortise after squaring off the shank... can't you? Then you could put in an extension, and you're right back where you left off?

That's what I'd do

--Mike
marks

Post by marks »

Using the current mortise (or what is left of it) as a guide, you could drill a little deeper, then grind off the broken part. If your airway is off center, you may have to elongate the end of the airway to get it to where it will pass a cleaner (if you are so inclined). If you don't have the set up to make a flush stem or an extension, just round off the end of the shank, or do a treatment like I did with pipe 2205 (page two of my website) and make a stick bit. You may yet get a nice pipe out of this.

Oh, and don't drill to far and come out the other side of the shank. If you do not have enough wood left to carry the mortise farther in, you could always use the appropriate diameter tubing and epoxy it into the airway, sort of like the process described on Tyler's site for attaching bamboo shanks to stummels.

It's worth a try, and it may give you new experiences and techniques. By the way, I like the shape :thumb: (made one earlier this year similar to that, #2506).

Good luck in whatever you decide to do with this pipe.