"Danish-ey" shape, my second pipe

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Karol

"Danish-ey" shape, my second pipe

Post by Karol »

This pipe #1

"Danish-ey" shape that all wannabes pipe makers are making :) I wanted it to be an octagonal panel shape similar to those from Savinelli often marked as "Autograph" but discovering how hard it is to keep the edges in synch I decided for easier horn shape. Retrospectively I have to laugh at myself wanting to copy one of Savinellis highest grade shapes but, hey aiming high didn't hurt in this case. Pipe is bit bigger than I would normally prefer but sits in hand perfectly. I considered making it smaller but the walls are getting bit thin towards the bottom of the bowl.

http://www.pipemakersforum.com/modules. ... _album.php
mahaffy

Post by mahaffy »

Karol, your numbering system had me a bit confused, until I remembered your first pipe was #0. Well, I'm still confused, but I can live with it. This second pipe, #1, works . . . though I think I'd prefer to see sharp edges at the corners. Would sharp edges feel as comfortable to the hand? I doubt it; it's just that the Savinelli shape -- I have a Sav second -- is so ingrained in my mind. Nice job.
Karol

Post by Karol »

mahaffy wrote:Karol, your numbering system had me a bit confused, until I remembered your first pipe was #0. Well, I'm still confused, but I can live with it.

Well the first pipe was roughly shaped from a full time pipe maker and I'm not considering it completely done by me. Second block was predrilled so it's not entirely done by me eighter but I can confidently say I shaped it from beginning. So for *me* this is my first pipe :) There is a system in this you see. :lol:
mahaffy wrote:This second pipe, #1, works . . . though I think I'd prefer to see sharp edges at the corners. Would sharp edges feel as comfortable to the hand? I doubt it; it's just that the Savinelli shape -- I have a Sav second -- is so ingrained in my mind. Nice job.
Keeping the edges sharp is quite a challenge with all the sanding during staining. I had to do a little alteration already after staining to keep one of them flowing (not that the shape if flawless). But yes, very valid comment. I'm over the panels now btw :D

Thanks!

/Karol
Karol

Post by Karol »

Damn, sorry, shortly after I sent the second post I gave the pipe for a review to my knowledgeable partner (complete non smoker...). She recons that the bowl part is too big and it's disproportionately big to the stem. And she was right... So I took my tools out again and filed off another 2-3mm from sides and back wall. :think: Watch out for version 2.1 next weekend... Might even get the edges sharper this time :)

What I would do different next time? I'll get feedback SOONER! :wink:
smokepiper

Karol! Girl from New Zeeland?

Post by smokepiper »

Your tecnique and eye for shapings is very good and if this were your #1 and got away with such minor corrections as stem length and so on. You have a given artistic eye and a future in pipemaking, even through hard times the value of work is more valuable than the times when everything goes smooth. I have hope for seeing a very talented maker in nearby future, keep on the good work....
Karol

Post by Karol »

Sorry Ronny, I'm from Slovak (living in NZ) and Karol is a Slavic version of Charles. Confuses the hell out of people here too. I hope you are not disappointed.

I'm still trying to find courage to join other threads and comment on other peoples pipes or even respond to their feedback on my pipes. I'm frighteningly opinionated and very critical which is not a good combination being a newbie here.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I'll try to do my best. I hope it wasn't the beginners luck so far.

Regards
Karol
smokepiper

Not disappoinmted at all

Post by smokepiper »

All newbe´s are more than welcome to try out the skills of wood and all are equal in my eyes. Though it could be a few more of female carvers than it is now. This forum will give you information enough to manage for a while and several here are very experiensed carvers, enjoy and show off some more creations.... Welcome!!!
Ronny