Bill's #4

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
BD

Bill's #4

Post by BD »

Hello All,

I snapped the shank off about a half inch from the bowl and was not a happy camper about it. I used a derlin tennon to fix it up. The block had lots of pits so I decided to experiment with partial rustication.

Length- 5 7/8"
Height- 1 3/4"
Width - 1 1/4"
Tobacco Chamber depth - 1 5/8"
Tobacco Chamber width - 7/8"

Tried the Danish Oil treatment on this pipe and applied 3 coats then waxed it with carnuba. I realy like how the finish turned out.

Lucite stem with derlin tennon and a small lucite (fire color) trim ring.

Let me know what you think.

Bill

(Sorry about the pics - experimenting with different lighting)

Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Hi Bill,

in details - nice work! I've some problems to say "it's a nice pipe" when I look at the complete work (nothing to be worry about, because it's only my mind)... :wink:

But let me explain my point of view:

Some contras:

The trimring is nice, but at this long shank - rustication on one end, trim ring on the other, I think it's too much? Also the color could be some more in contrast in my mind.

The shank is beautiful straight, but I can imagine, that it'll be more beautiful a little bit thinner. That's an effect of the rustication, I think.

The rustication looks wild and deep - but not bad... I'd try to make it more symmetric at the upper side of the bowl?

The bowl is neither a poker or stand-up, nor a billiard or pot -I've always some problems to say "it's nice" to a pipe, wher any part looks like just cut away (sorry :oops:), but perhaps it looks better if the bottom of the bowl was a little bit roundet and the bowl/stem junktion could be a little bit smoother?

The drilling of the tobacco camber could be 1-2 mm deeper - seems like the drilling of the shank is minimal to deep?

Some pros:

The finish looks very nice and it's an acknowledgement to my mind about Danish Oil - I love finishes with it!

Very good repair of the broken shank, I couldn't see any issue on the pics!

Also the stem looks very nice and fits the shank and the button seems to be in good dimensions/comfortable.

Over all good symmetry and a nice shape, even with the straight bottom of the bowl...

Very beautiful border of the bowl.

So, over all a nice work, of course, with some points I should have tried to avoid - still I don't know if I could make it better... :wink:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
marks

Post by marks »

I must say that four your fourth pipe, that is very nice. Just a few things from my point of view. One, I agree with Heinz, you did a very good job of blending in the shank extension. Two, I think the smooth top and smooth bottom are a very nice contrast to the rusticated bowl. Three, I would have carried the rustication on down the shank on this pipe to thin out the shank a little. On the other hand, if the entire shank was smooth, I could go for that as well, but with the patch, it appears that leaving the entire shank smooth was not possible.

I think the shape is nice (my opinion differs from Heinz here), and I have a block drilled where I was seriously considering making the same basic shape.

Finally, I think the drilling is a matter of personal taste as well. I have a Jacono that is drilled like yours, and it has always delivered an unbelievable smoke (don't know if it is due to the drilling or not, but it definately does not hurt the pipe). It is particularly easy to smoke all the tobacco in the bowl when it is drilled like this.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Nice looking pipe there bud. I like the shape overall. A very nice poker. Having the whole thing rusticated would give you a more unified piece. Right now you have too much going on with the partial rustication and the stem adornment. I like the depth of your rustication. It looks really craggy, but also pretty fine in detail. No huge whomping chunks torn out, but one heck of alot of little deep chunks.

How's it smoke?
sethile

Post by sethile »

Fantastic for #4! I like the overall feel of it a lot. Too bad about the shank. I've certainly had moments like that-- man are they are depressing! Your repair looks great though. Looking forward to seeing more pipes from you.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
flix

Post by flix »

Bill,

Other than rusticating the entire extension up to the ring, (very nice rustication at that) I really like the pipe as a whole. I was unaware the drilling short on the tobacco chamber had the effect of more easily burning the tobacco. I will try that out on one of my future pipes.

Well done!

--Michael