Old Craftsman lathe

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
obie

Old Craftsman lathe

Post by obie »

Hey guys...

I recently inherited a 1950's era Craftsman Lathe (12" swing, 36" between centers). It's in good operating condition, and is plenty large to do anything I need to. I've checked specs (they're pretty standard) and got an archive manual.

I am a complete newbie pipemaker. The lathe is nice because at this point it hasn't cost me a dime. However, I need to get the appropriate chucks and tools. What I'm trying to figure out is whether I should try to sell this lathe and pick up a JET mini lathe instead, or go with what I have. I realize that buying a chuck and inserts for this lathe and then switching lathes will only cost me $10 for a new insert; however I'm wondering if there's something I'm overlooking, or if there's something I need to know about using large lathes for stummel and stem work.

What it comes down to is: is this a good lathe for a beginning pipemaker, or should I try something else?

Any input anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
achduliebe

Post by achduliebe »

Hey Obie,

My thoughts are to keep what you got. From what I have seen the older lathes are built to take a direct hit from a nuke. Just focus on getting you a good chuck and some bits and you will be in business. Now, I am no lathe expert so it will interesting to see what some more experienced makers have to say, but I say go with it.
-Bryan

"You should never fight, but if you have to fight...fight dirty. Kick 'em in the groin, throw a rock at 'em"

www.quinnpipes.com
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

Keep that Craftsman lathe! It's a real good one. I'd love to have something like that and would sell my Jet Midi in a minute to get one.

Joel
obie

Post by obie »

Here's another question: will that bad boy give me the precision I may need for stem work (at least starting out)?

Thanks guys!
custom300

Post by custom300 »

I don't think you will be able to get sufficient precision out of any wood lathe for turning tenons (old or new). However, I use my Delta midi to rough shape the actual stem before I goto sanding and filing. For my tenons, I use the "Kurt Huhn Delrin Doctrine" .http://www.pipemakersforum.com/modules. ... pic&t=1530
Blessing and Peace

Jamie
ckr

Post by ckr »

Just cuz it is from the 50's era is no reason to toss it. If that were the case I woudda been tossed a long time ago :lol: The fact is the goods produced in that era far exceed the goods today (designed to fail) in several categories. Give it a shot.
Fumo in pace :pipe:
obie

Post by obie »

The size of it is more the reason I was contemplating the switch. I had heard that a smaller lathe is easier to handle for pipemaking - plus I'm borrowing space at my friend's garage for the 'shop' and a smaller lathe would make a smaller footprint, rather than dwarf all his other equipment, especially if we're going to need a bandsaw as well.

I agree though, that in many cases they sure don't make 'em like they used to. I'm looking forward to getting this baby fired up.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Actually, obie, the size is a *bonus* for pipemaking. The added mass will reduce vibration from all the off-center turning that pipe makers do, and it will be much more stable at higher RPMs (where you need to go to get a smooth finish).
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I assume the lathe is a wood lathe? If what you have is a 12 x 36 inch craftsman metal lathe from the 1950's then I have a Jet Midi a taig and my first born I can trade ya. :wink:
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I might throw in a miniature wiener dog too.. :D
obie

Post by obie »

That wiener dog sure sweetens the deal, ArtGuy. Lemme ponder that.

:think: