Why did you start making pipes?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Thought I'd recusitate this thread since I never saw it before. There's probably quite a few "new" members who haven't, either and it may be interesting.

I got into pipe-smoking/collecting and figured, hell, it's wood.. how tough can it be? I have a background in art and have always gravitated(read: work much better with) 3-dimensional mediums, e.g. clay sculpting, wood carving, etc... since I already enjoyed smoking pipes, I figured I could enjoy making them. And I do.. regarless of whether I remain an amateur, sell some periodically or become a full-fledged professional some ways down the road, I imagine pipe-making will remain my main hobby for the rest of my life.
JSPipes

Post by JSPipes »

I started out just trying to learn more about pipes. I'd only been smoking about 6 months and when I start a new hobby I tend to go all out.

Anyway, I wanted to know what made a pipe a good smoker. Or as much as I could quantify about it. So I gave it a go. I already had most of the tools I needed and didn't need to spend much to get started.

So I tried lots of different airway diameters and chamber shapes. I finally settled on what I'm using now based entirely on the way the pipe smokes. It's interesting that many pipe makers settled on similar things, but not surprising.

Once I leaned how to make a pipe that smokes well, I set off refining the way they look. I have a long way to go on that, but I am making progress.

Joel
Karol

Post by Karol »

Thanks for bringing this thread up. Mainly, I enjoy "making things". It started early with a darkroom for my photos (still have it!), continued with fly tying and now I'm (trying) making pipes. Whether it's a deep rich black and shining white of a fibre based black & white print or well made Royal Wulff, pipes are something that I can enjoy making and love using.

Secondly and probably just as important in this case, I couldn’t bring myself to spend 200+ on a nice pipe. I'm not a collector and pipe for me is mostly a nice instrument for smoking tobacco. When I started smoking more then 10 years ago I never had enough money to buy a top shelf pipe. While I can't justify spending 200+ on a fancy pipe I could easily get a briar block for a fraction of this cost. I know the time is not included in this calculation but it was meant to be hobby and profitability is simply not on the list. Ironically it made me appreciate well made pipes and understand the pricing lot more.

Karol
flix

Post by flix »

munkey wrote:I started making pipes to become rich and famous. I'm surprised to see so many of you skate around the fact that this was probably your motivation too. We can be honest here, folks.

:pipe:
Scott,
You're right! I've got the same motivation:

Laid off after 25 years in Silicon Valley, moved to Spokane, am hoping to get temp work to support the family and use the time off to build a business carving pipes. I'm hoping that some day I'll be as famous as John Crosby!
Gary_Gill

Post by Gary_Gill »

I began making pipes when I wanted something different than I saw being commerically made. Pipes are one of many things I make because I enjoy a challenge. And I like to smoke my own pipes.
Gary
MilesW

Post by MilesW »

I recantly retired and took this up as a way to relax. I suspect I may never make a pipe I consider good enough to sell. That is ok I really enjoy the process. I have never done any sort of wood working and am surprised at how enjoyable it is.
sgresso

Post by sgresso »

I have been a collector for years now and am a younger guy.
I am only 27.
I started collecting when I was 18.

I have been to the chicago pipe show now for 4 years and love the place!

I have made many friends and have see a few of them become awesome carvers.

I have been interested in trying for a while but never made the jump.

I finally decided to at least try.

I just got my first pipe kits and we will see what happens.

I know a few people and now have this place to help me along the way!
I look forward to chatting and learning from many of you.
Thankfully I have meet a few of you at the shows and know how hard you all work!

I can't wait to see my first finished pipe and get some idea's on what I am doing wrong and how to improve!