Customer Billiard 2nd try...

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Heinz_D

Customer Billiard 2nd try...

Post by Heinz_D »

Because the 1st try ended in a rusticated Billiard, but my customer wanted a smooth, unstained pipe, I had to make another one:

This one is also not free of spots, but much more better than the last block! A giant was wanted and I think I've realised ist...

Length: over all 167 mm (stummel 84 mm / stem 83 mm)

Width: 37 mm

Hight: 68 mm

Tobacco chamber: 21 mm diameter / 58 mm depth

Weight: 70 g

Stem: Acrylic with 9 mm filter chamber

Finish: unstained, carnaubawax polished

Some comments would be nice - thank you...
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

WOW! That bowl is huge! :wink: I'd still be smoking the first bowl this time tomorrow!

From the side, the thick shank looks ok, but the bottom pic makes me think the shank would look better if it were a little smaller. In my opinion it doesn't quite fit with the width of the bowl.

I like the unstained finish! :thumb:

David
magruder

Post by magruder »

The shank and stem look reasonably good.
The bowl is really a stacked or straight chimney.
Look at a classic Upshall or Dunhill billiard and see how the bowl cants a touch
and has a bit of a barrel shape to it.
Billiards are a bitch to shape.
Overall, not a bad pipe, but not a great billiard -IF- you're going for a
classic billiard shape.
FWIW- I made what I thought was a pretty fair billiard and Tom Eltang said
it was "getting close". I suppose I should have been pleased, but I have to admit, my billiard wasn't right on the money. Tom was right.
HTH and please take it in the kind way I intend the critique.
Best,
Steve
ckr

Post by ckr »

Heinz,

Nice job and a nice orientation of the grain. I agree that it is more of a stacked pot than a billiard. Now that I have seen this one, if both pipes were on display and I was allowed to choose between this and the 'contrast rustication' that he passed on. No contest, the rusticated wins hands down, even though these shots have some grass. :P

Scalpo in pace
Heinz_D

Post by Heinz_D »

Thanks for your comments so far.

@ David: The bowl is a little bit too small, because ther wer some spots again... The hight is in agreement to the customer - for myselfe I would have made it a little bit less... Therefor the shank looks too thick, but I had to do a stem with filter chamber and the walls of the shank are only 2 mm thick...

@ Steve: You're right, it's not a great billiard at all - just made from specifications of the customer... My favorite would be my rusticated attemp...

@ ckr: Yes, the grass is growing again quiet well... even if the pipe isn't as nice as the rusticated :D

@ all: It's hard to make a pipe from customer's specifications and I tried to discuss with him about the bowl, but he insisted in this dimensions and form! So I tried to do the best to satisfy his wishes... At least I don't know if I would ever make a pipe for customers requests again - it's easier to offer ready shaped and well done pipes... :oops:
Greetings from Germany,

Heinz_D
ckr

Post by ckr »

@ all: It's hard to make a pipe from customer's specifications and I tried to discuss with him about the bowl, but he insisted in this dimensions and form! So I tried to do the best to satisfy his wishes... At least I don't know if I would ever make a pipe for customers requests again - it's easier to offer ready shaped and well done pipes.
The Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules.

I have seen others very similar done by very reknowned carvers. One was 5 inches with a 3 and a half inch stack. A full two stories and then some with a price tag just as big and marked SOLD. Go figure.

I don't think it is a bad pipe, just not my cup of tea.

Having never smoked one I can only imagine the benifits. It could be that we are all missing an extraordinary smoking experience.