convertion scales

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Calumet

convertion scales

Post by Calumet »

What does he ask us? convertion scales what are those,maybe some weird kinda crustations.
:D

Hi all

I dont wanna sound to confusing but I am looking for a link that could help me converting all meassures in INCH into MM for here in Europe we use
a different metric system,the buggers.

So I came across a drillsize 1/16" what would that be in mm.?

thanks
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

Non metric scales bug me everytime I work on the old sailboats from the sailing school I work for (on a hobby basis). All those inch-based screws are a pain to deal with in Germany and the Netherlands.
But me being a typographer, I remember an inch being 2,54 cm (please note that the "," in my figures in this mail is used the European way to separate the decimals, not the thousands…) The glyph the English writing world use for an inch is usually the " which computer writers (caused by stone-age ASCII restrictions from way back when) mistakingly use as the double quotation marks in their typography, but that's another story. I do use this wrong form in this forum too, I must admit. In germany, a correct quotation should be „quoted text“, where the leading quotation has the shape of "99" and the closing one that of a "66". Enlarge your browser's text display size, so you will notice the difference. Correct English quotation marks are “quoted text”, where the leading is a "66" and the closing one a "99". The swiss way »quoted text« or (even less common) «quoted text» is also possible. I don't know of special rules for other languages, though.

But to get back OT:

1/16" should be 25,4mm : 16 = 1,5875mm.
Or 5/32" should be 25,4mm x 5 : 32 = 3,96875mm

Since you will hardly find any drill bits that size in Europe (GB maybe?), I think it will be perfectly enough to use a 1,5 mm (should be available) or (second example) a 4mm.

Same goes for bullet sizes, as far as I know. The number, e.g. a 22 bullet or a 38 bullet, must be read as "0,22" or "0,38" as a fraction of an inch. But I am not that sure about it, since luckily enough it is not so easy for us in Europe to deal with that whole weapon thing at all…

I think that reference will make it easier for you than to give you a link to some of those universal unit converter websites, since you don't run around with a PC always online, don't you?
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
Nick

Post by Nick »

Try this download. Its indespensible.

http://www.quadlock.com/about/UnitConverter.exe
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That calculator application on my Mac has all sorts of nifty conversion functions - including currency.

So maybe you need a Mac? :twisted:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

BAH!! Mac! PTOIE!!

Any of you seen thos Mac commercials, with the two guys pretending to be computers? I love those! I hate to admit it, but I identify with PC.
Calumet

Post by Calumet »

Hi Pipemakers,

I will ask Santa to bring me a Mac. Kurt,althou I have my doubts if the good man will do so :D

thank you Nick for the Quad unit converter,it 's a big help
to all those struggeling with inches and such.

Like me and Alexander :)

I 'll keep the meassures you gave 1,5 and 4
Thanks Alex

I did buy myself also a forstenerbit of 35mm. It can be used,no?
to flatten the areas to drill the chamber and stem,am I correct?

Keep the fire buring

Frank
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

At least I am not suffering from lacking a Mac, allthough Santa might consider sending me one of those quadruple core workstations in 10 days. Guess nobody told him lately…

:?

But there should be comparable freeware that does similar conversions on a Windoze.
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

i always use google.com. If you put in 3/8" to mm into the search bar the conversion will come up on top of the search page. It works the same with ounces to grams and nearly everything else.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... tnG=Search

Google really does know all!!
alexanderfrese

Post by alexanderfrese »

ArtGuy wrote:…snip
Google really does know all!!
Will it convert the cubit, the poppyseed and the bovate?
Alexander Frese
www.quarum.de
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »