I ran into a little flaw....

For discussion of the drilling and shaping of the stummel.
ArtGuy

I ran into a little flaw....

Post by ArtGuy »

This was going to be a big mamma jamma curvy volcano until I ran into a slight pit in the tobacco chamber.

:roll:
ScoJo

Post by ScoJo »

Dang! And from the picture with the wetted block it looks like you had some nice grain going on there too! That sucks. I'd have finished that sucker, coated the bowl, and kept it for myself to see what happened to it. But then again, I'm a hobbyist pipemaker and I keep everything anyway, so my situation is different.
ArtGuy

Post by ArtGuy »

I thought about doing that but I also wanted to show people :P
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Yipes! That's no pit, it's an abyss!
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Just one of many reasons why I've been experimenting with other woods.

The funny thing is, I've found quite a few pipe smokers who are surprisingly receptive to other woods. Like I'm currently working on one out of Osage Orange for a guy who saw me smoking an Osage pipe awhile back and decided that he had to have one just like mine.

You know, I almost wonder, sometimes, if it's not us pipe makers who are doing most of the promoting of briar, rather than the pipe smokers.
Frank

Post by Frank »

@pierredekat
Care to post a pic of the Osage pipe? I'm curious as to what it looks like. I also favour the idea of alternative woods.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Frank wrote:@pierredekat
Care to post a pic of the Osage pipe? I'm curious as to what it looks like. I also favour the idea of alternative woods.
Will do. I'm still a few days away from being done with this one I'm working on, but once I finish, I'll sure enough post a few pics.

One thing I've noticed about my own personal Osage pipe is the fact that Osage doesn't seem to absorb flavors to the extent that briar does.

On the downside, it's somewhat ring-porous -- which makes for a great sandblast, but a less-than-perfect smooth pipe.

On the upside, though, I can smoke ten different kinds of tobacco in that Osage pipe, and the flavor of each tobacco really sings its own unique notes.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Okay, Frank, I finally finished the pipe and snapped a few pictures. I went ahead and started a new thread because I didn't want to hijack ArtGuy's thread any worse than I already have. :?

viewtopic.php?t=2415