The Characteristics of Briarwood - Article

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Nick

The Characteristics of Briarwood - Article

Post by Nick »

Yay!! I finally got the article. Haven't read it yet, but it looks awesome. if anyone has a place to post it where it can be downloaded, let me know. Otherwise i can email it if you all like.
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Wow, awesome, Nick! Can you email a copy to "pierredekat @ yahoo . com" (without the spaces). Thanks!

Yeah, I have got to get my website up and running. :roll:

Once I do, though, I'll definitely host a copy on mine. And hopefully a few others will host a copy on theirs, too. Hint hint.
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

nick, I'll put it up on my site... send it to ben_|@|_scofield.cc (without the _| and |_).
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I'm most interested... /jdiddley/ @ /hotmail.com/ (without backslashes or spaces)
Nick

Post by Nick »

I sent the file to everyone, including Ben, who has agreed to host it. I'm sure Ben will give us the address as soon as he gets it set up. Too much fun!
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Nick wrote:I sent the file to everyone, including Ben, who has agreed to host it. I'm sure Ben will give us the address as soon as he gets it set up. Too much fun!
as soon as I get home (I don't have ftp access from work).
Nick

Post by Nick »

Checking pipe making forums from work??!!

Slacker!

(Damn, still 4 minutes until quitting time.)
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to stay awake at work, right?

Here's the link fellas:

http://www.scofieldpipes.com/briar_prop.pdf

Most should be able to open the PDF in their browser, but if not you should be able to right click the link above and select the save option.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Is is me? Or is the pdf file on scofield's website blank?
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Now on my home computer I get an Acrobat error message and the window closes. Strange. I couldn't open Nick's attachment through hotmail either.
sethile

Post by sethile »

Wow, that's great, Nick, thanks! Just printed it off after downloading from Ben's site. I really appreciate it gents!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
bscofield

Post by bscofield »

kbadkar wrote:Is is me? Or is the pdf file on scofield's website blank?
Must just be you:
sethile wrote:Wow, that's great, Nick, thanks! Just printed it off after downloading from Ben's site. I really appreciate it gents!
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Nick and Ben

Thanks for your work to get this article out to us.
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Why me? It works now, go figure. Thanks!
Nick

Post by Nick »

LOL! Glad it finally worked for you bud.

I'm interested in what you all think of the article. It wasn't terribly enlightening to me. Most of it seemed pretty common sense. But I still enjoyed the read, and i am sure I'll refer back to it. The microscopic pictures were fascinating, and man, those warped blocks were scary!!

What I really found interesting was how the postulated that some of the goop in the wood was actually what made the briar so resistant to heat. Maybe it is necessary for some of the sap to stay in the wood to have a good pipe?
pierredekat

Post by pierredekat »

Some of my own observations:

* I wasn't sure what to make of the data for the density of briar sprinkled throughout the article. Earlier on, they showed a table with 0.97 grams/cm3 for briar root. But later in the article they say "General information about briarwood is presented in a brief monograph by Schmidt (1951) contained in a descriptive treatment of several other woods. This work includes macroscopic and microscopic characteristics, air-dry density values (mean 0.78, range 0.63-0.94), and referenced to preparatory boiling (to release stresses and obtain uniformity of color between sapwood and heartwood) and to high temperature resistance that makes briarwood suitable for pipes. The author rejects the opinion that the latter resistance is due to silica (Hegi 1935), because the silica content of briarwood is not 'unusually high'. Density values of .80-.90 (without reference to base) were also supplied by another source (Instituto Legno 1976)." The author says that his "0.97 g/cm3" value was for "dry" briar root, and I'm wondering if his reading was based on wood dried down to near 0 percent moisture content, rather than an equilibrium moisture content somewhere in the 10 percent range. That might account for why his readings were higher than the readings of both Schmidt and Instituto Legno. I guess I'm still just trying to parse the article a little further to see how it jives with my own calculations for the density of briar.

* There's a good chance that the information I gleaned about the drying process for briar will someday prove helpful. Apparently the boiling process goes a long way toward keeping drying checks and warping to a minimum. I'm hoping to eventually settle down along Mexico's Pacific Coast, where Manzanita ("Mission Briar") grows pretty much everywhere. And I'm thinking I can harvest and process that Manzanita -- boiling it in a big ol' tamale pot to keep drying checks and warping to a minimum -- just like the folks along the Mediterranean do with their briar.

* They kept using the word "tumor" when referring to typical briar root. I understand the concept behind this, and I have seen the word used quite a bit in relation to many kinds of "burl" type woods. I guess, depending on our own personal affinity for briar, we may or may not want to adopt that same terminology. :lol:
Nick

Post by Nick »

The tumor word is probably a translation issue. The article was originally written in German, and this was the English translation.

I agree the bit on boiling was quite interesting. I didn't catch the varience in densities. I'm presuming though that the numbers given are pretty dense, right?