Where to begin?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
mattw

Where to begin?

Post by mattw »

I searched on this forum looking for a "beginners guide" or FAQ and couldn't find anything, so I thought I would start a thread looking for that info.

My question is, how do you guys think is the best way to start? I assume with a pre-drilled type thing from PIMO (or similar), which is my plan. But that leads me to my next question - what is the minimum tooling that you could carve and finish a pipe kit with? Sandpaper I know, but what would it take beyond that? Assume I have no electric tools (which is close to true), but have a fair number of hand tools, and a little bit of money to spend on tools (especially if I can see using them in the future outside of making a pipe).

At this point, I am interested in making a pipe for me (and possibly some for friends) but have no aspirations of grandeur. I like working with my hands in my spare time, and think that this is something I would enjoy.

Thanks for any input,
/matt
sethile

Post by sethile »

Hello Matt,

I don't think we have a step by step guide here on the site. A lot of the information here is a step or two down the road from where you are, though much of it will be useful. It's a lot to wade through. No doubt it's a bit over whelming if you're just looking to do your first kit.

Many of us started out with the Pimo Book called Pipe Crafting at Home:
http://www.pimopipecraft.com/book.html

It has a lot of helpful tips for getting started.

The pre-bored kits are a good way to start, especially if you don't have many tools. Pimo kits are OK, but I think the ones from American Smoking Pipe Co are better (Mark Tinsky). Here is a link that also has a very decent article on getting started with it:

http://www.amsmoke.com/Services/PipeKit.html

You can also check out the pipe kits from Tim West (J.H. Lowe):
http://www.jhlowe.com/briar.htm

West's are also better quality than the Pimo kits. Either West's or Tinsky's would be my choice. Another guy is Vermont Freehands on eBay. Not sure about those. Anyone else have any experience with them?

In terms of tools to use with the pre-boared kit. You can do a lot with an assortment of files, rasps, and sandpaper. A coping saw is also helpful for roughing in the shape. If you have a power hand drill, you can get something like a 5" sanding disk to chuck into it. Then clamp that in a vice, or mount it on a board with hose clamps and blocks, with a couple of old section of rubber hose for padding. You can shape the stummel (wood part of the pipe) against the spinning disk sander then it with both hands (the Pimo book has a bunch of helpful jigs that are cheep and simple to build). You can also get a little buffing wheel to use with that same drill set up, along with some compounds. That would save you a lot of time and everyone can use a good drill.

You'll need some stain. Alcohol based leather dye is what many of us are using. You can get that locally at a Tandy leather store if you have one nearby, or order it when you order your pipe kit.

You'll be a little better off after reading through that article linked to above, and/or the Pimo book.

Go for it! It's lots and lots of fun. Only watch out. It's addicting! Let us know if you have any other questions once you've done some reading.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Frank

Post by Frank »

Matt,
Scott has kindly given you a number of leads and beginner advice, but I suggest you do what I did when I first discovered this forum.

As a newcomer to pipemaking, read as many of the previous posts as you can. Yes, this will take quite a while, but I read at least 90% or more of the entire forum before I posted a question. Virtually all of what you need to know (and much more) is already here.

You'll not only learn the basics, but pick up a wealth of hints, tips & shortcuts, plus a few laughs along the way. These guys have a wry sense of humour, but watch out for Bad Munkeys!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Everything already posted is great information for you to get started with. Definitely do as Frank suggested and read through all of the topics in the different forums that strike your fancy or sound helpful. I've done this a few times and it's a huge help. At one point, I did a bit of copy-and-pasting into a word document so I had my own little "guide book", so to speak, on hand. A bit of work, but well worth it.

One thing not mentioned in regards to tooling: don't sink yourself too deep into it monetarily until you're sure you enjoy it. It's a very easy thing to do if not careful, tools are just too much fun. This is touched on several times throughout the threads in this forum and it's a gem of wisdom. You can get away with the following to start:

-Hand drill(variable speed, plug-in)
-Files(Nicholson makes nice file sets at affordable prices. One can never have too many files of various sizes, shapes and cuts)
-Sandpaper(150, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800+ is optional)
-Coping and/or band saw(Personal experience here, a coping saw works better, but your and other's mileage may vary)
-Eye protection and respirator. Protect your vital parts.

For a first pipe, the above are pretty much necessary. The hand drill *could* be considered optional, but you'll be further ahead for picking one up, especially if you're wanting to buff your first pipe out on wheels or want to chuck sanding discs up to work with.

Optional items.. others may disagree, but for a very first pipe, until you're sure you'll enjoy it, these things aren't "necessary". You can learn how to shape a pipe and work with the materials without having to buff it out completely to a high-gloss finish. No rule says if you like this enough to invest that deeply that you can't rework the first pipe or two after the fact:

-Stains
-Buffing wheels, arbors and compounds(brown tripoli, white diamond, carnauba wax)
-Rotary Tool(Dremel, Foredom, etc. Dremels can be had at an affordable price and they come in handy. Foredoms are much nicer, but you pay for it. Something to think about should you enjoy this and want to go further. Foredoms are best bang for the buck, but a Dremel will get you where you need to go to start.)
-Vise(to hold your work. Ways to do this are outlined throughout the forum)

You can honestly get away with the bare minimum. I started with sandpaper, files and a Dremel and slowly moved along. However you choose to go about it, enjoy and, as you can see, any questions you have will be happily answered. I know I didn't add much that wasn't already noted, but since you're a Matt W and I am also a Matt W, I had to put in my 2 cents.

Matt
bvartist

Post by bvartist »

Welcome to the forums Matt. I can't add too much to the information already given. I would suggest you take a look at the Pipe making section of Tyler's site. http://www.tylerlanepipes.com/index.php A little more advanced than using files and sandpaper, but it will give you an idea of how to proceed. Most of pipe making is learning to adapt what you may already have, or can afford to cheaply buy. I did my first 2 pipes like Scott suggested, using a drill mounted in a vice, and a set of 3M sanding disks you can pick up at WalMart for $5-6. Like others have said, be prepared, pipe making is highly addictive! :lol:

David
kkendall

Be careful

Post by kkendall »

Disclaimer: This post started as a small reply (oh well)

You may want to reconsider making a pipe. Once you start, you can't stop, and THAT's when you start spending the money to tool up to make more, and more!

I started (this year) with a plain block of Algerian plateaux (from Pipe Makers Emporium), and after looking at it for a while, decided on the locations for the tobacco chamber and air holes. Then I took it back and had him drill it.

At the time all I had on hand was a Dremel, files, and sandpaper. I used the sanding drums (small and large) with coarse and then finer grits. Worked pretty well. I was able to get the shape fairly quickly considering the tool I was using.

I had a smaller piece left over and decided it was large enough to do another pipe. Figured out the geometry, and took it back and had him drill that one too. Same process... Dremel, files, and sandpaper. It's actually one of my favorites today (and one of my better smokers, too! Better than most of my name brands, Ferndown, Nording, Design Berlin, Don Carlos, etc!).

While I was making these, I was all over the web looking at any pipe maker that was kind enough to post pictures of their shop on their sites. I will also say, Tyler Lane's videos and tool discussions were probably the most influential on my decisions to bypass the drill press and go straight to a small wood lathe. (best decision I made)

I saw what other pipe makers were using for tools, the processes they used to make pipes, etc. and decided what made sense for me to do (within my capabilities and budget).

I don't know anyone that has just made a pipe and not made more...and more! For me it's therapy, for others it's a business. But even as a hobby/therapy, be prepared! It's not something you will be satisfied with by just making one or two!

It doesn't take long before you will want to make your own pipe(s) from start to finish. Then you're hooked!
mattw

Post by mattw »

I have been considering purchasing a Foredom recently anyway (after burning out a Dremel), this may just push me over the edge to buy one.

Me and a friend have both been toying with this idea, and I think I am ready to take the plunge.

I have read too much in the past few days about pipe making and am going to have to take the plunge before I understand it all.

Thanks for the input, and letting me know that it is possible with very little!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Do a price comparison with the Craftsman rotary tool with flex shaft.
I've had mine for many years with no problems. It even came with a small toolbox with slots in the upper, removable, shelf to store the various bits.
Since I'm such a penny-pincher (OK, OK, cheapskate), I'm sure it must have been much less expensive than the Dremel.

Here's a handy gizmo for temporary attachment to workbench. I just use a couple of C-clamps:
Not sure where I got it, maybe here http://www.micromark.com/ or here http://www.modelexpo-online.com/
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

mattw wrote:I have read too much in the past few days about pipe making and am going to have to take the plunge before I understand it all.
Yep, you are... and there's nothing at all wrong with that. You don't have to know "everything"(it's impossible, anyway) about making a pipe to get started. Just get yourself a kit and a few tools and have at it. If you get stuck on something, put it down, log into the forum and ask a question. Most of all, have fun with it!

Matt
mattw

Post by mattw »

Pipe kit on order from Mark Tinsky (he said he hoped to ship it out today).

I think I am going to try to do a 'photo blog' of sorts about my experience. Maybe it will help others starting out.

Can't wait though!