4 JAW OR 3 JAW

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
timothy thorpe

4 JAW OR 3 JAW

Post by timothy thorpe »

is is really a big differnce between the 4. i have a 3 jaw self-centering which came with the machine. a 4 jaw self-centering is another 71.00$ :(

thanks, tim
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Depends on what you're turning. 3 or 4 jaw self-centering are fine for square and round stock. If you intend to turn something that's lopsided you may want a chuck with independent jaws. Personally, I've had my Taig for 2 years, 4 jaw self-centering chuck, and haven't yet found that I needed anything different. That may change, but as you're just starting with it, save your money for other things. You shouldn't have any problems.

Matt
timothy thorpe

Post by timothy thorpe »

hazmat wrote:Depends on what you're turning. 3 or 4 jaw self-centering are fine for square and round stock. If you intend to turn something that's lopsided you may want a chuck with independent jaws. Personally, I've had my Taig for 2 years, 4 jaw self-centering chuck, and haven't yet found that I needed anything different. That may change, but as you're just starting with it, save your money for other things. You shouldn't have any problems.

Matt
HI, i sorry i actually have the 3 jaw self-centering chuck, will it be o.k. thanks
kkendall

2 Jaw

Post by kkendall »

For Stummels: A lot of people take 2 jaws out of a 4 jaw self centering chuck to they can drill the stummels in the lathe.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

A 3-jaw scroll chuck is used for round stock exclusively. It may be able to hold square or rectangular stock, but not well, and not securely.

I suppose the answer to "Will it work?" depends on what you want to do. If you're only using it for stem work, then yes, it should function well enough. If want to turn stummels, then no, I wouldn't suggest it. It's not really the right tool for that job.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I don't own one, but I don't think the Taig is large enough to handle drilling or turning a stummel. Most pipe makers here use the Taig for stem work or shank candy. The 3 jaw should be fine as long as your stock is round. Square stock will require a 4 jaw self-centering. Rectangular stock will require 4 jaw independent. There was another thread here recently about 3 vs. 4 jaw and self-centering vs. independent. Check it out.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Yeesh, Kurt, you beat me to the same post response. :?
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

KurtHuhn wrote:A 3-jaw scroll chuck
Are "scroll" and "self-centering" the same thing? Outside of using it for making pipes, I'm pretty much a lathe dunce.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Yeah, they're one and the same. I believe the "scroll" refers to the spiral guides that keep the jaws centering in unision.
Frank

Post by Frank »

I don't recommend this unless you're well experienced, but somewhere on the forum there are pictures of someone using a scrolling 3 jaw with 1 jaw removed to hold rectangular stummels.
Perhaps one of you guys can remember which thread.

Do as Matt suggests, save your money until you're absolutely sure you need the 4 jaw.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

kbadkar wrote:Yeah, they're one and the same. I believe the "scroll" refers to the spiral guides that keep the jaws centering in unision.
Makes sense and I learned something.. how's about that? I have the 4 jaw scroll, which explains why I haven't had any problems chucking up square stock.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Frank,

I think that was Leus' pictures of him making a pipe. I just checked and yup, you even commented on the 3 cum 2 jaw chuck. I'm not sure how to make a link to it, but it's under Gallery "Making of" posted by Leus.
LexKY_Pipe

Post by LexKY_Pipe »

Has anyone ever used a Taig metal lathe for stummel work?
Craig

From the heart of the Blue Grass.
Lexington, KY

loscalzo.pipes@gmail.com
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

I honestly can't see how you could. They're nice lathes, but they just don't have the "oomph" for that. There's also not enough swing over the bed, even with the tail and headstock risers installed. I would also think, no matter how well you steadied and anchored the thing, that it would still shake and bounce around if you put something the size of a block of briar off-center in the headstock chuck and tried to spin it, even at the lowest speed.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

LexKY_Pipe wrote:Has anyone ever used a Taig metal lathe for stummel work?
Yes. In fact, I drilled my bowls on my Taig for the first year or so that I made pipes. The riser kits allow it to turn pipes with long shanks, and it was easy to take two jaws out of the 4 jaw chuck to grip briar blocks. I didn't have any problem drilling bowls with it, though - Of course, I did have a larger-sized motor with it.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Really Trever? Anyone I've ever asked about this has told me it's not worth even bothering with... but you've done it so it's obviously not true. When I have mine set up with the risers in place, it doesn't seem like it would work at all. And it certainly doesn't seem like it would be good for the machine itself. I'd give it a try, but I'm half afraid of ruining it.
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

hazmat wrote:Really Trever? Anyone I've ever asked about this has told me it's not worth even bothering with... but you've done it so it's obviously not true. When I have mine set up with the risers in place, it doesn't seem like it would work at all. And it certainly doesn't seem like it would be good for the machine itself. I'd give it a try, but I'm half afraid of ruining it.
Well, let me stress that there is a huge difference between being able to do something and just how optimal that method is. :twisted: I drilled with mine for about a year of part-time hobbyist pipemaking and it worked OK. Now, compared to using my Jet wood lathe or anything I use now, the experience was pretty poor, but it was possible. I just had to keep my bits sharp for bowl drilling. It was the only tool I had at the time. I drilled bowls by mounting the bowl bit in the tailstock and moving the tool carriage behind the tailstock, then using it to slowly advance the tailstock into the wood.

Bottom line - If it's all you've got and you're not in a hurry, then yes, it can be made to work. It's certainly an inferior solution to most options, though.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Point well taken, sir. I'll stick to my drill press until I can get a wood lathe!
Leus

Post by Leus »

KurtHuhn wrote:A 3-jaw scroll chuck is used for round stock exclusively. It may be able to hold square or rectangular stock, but not well, and not securely.

I suppose the answer to "Will it work?" depends on what you want to do. If you're only using it for stem work, then yes, it should function well enough. If want to turn stummels, then no, I wouldn't suggest it. It's not really the right tool for that job.
Heh, I should have put a disclaimer here.

http://pipes.epublish.cl/workshop/target15.html

It can be done, but it is really cumbersome and insecure. I've had my share of flying stummels because of this. I haven't managed to buy a 4 jaws chuck.