Lathe accessories help.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

When you ask a bunch of pipemakers a question, you can expect a bunch of answers. For more confusion, consider that, for wood lathes of some sizes, cross slide/compound rest attachments are available. The last one I saw on Ebay was for, I think, a 12" Delta/Rockwell. If it could be adjusted properly, this attachment would allow stem/tenon turning on a wood lathe in the same manner as on a metal lathe.

Given the choice between wood lathe and drill press, I'd go lathe. Maybe research the metal turning attachment and see what sort of lathe you'd need to put it to use.

Jack
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

Frank wrote:
kbadkar wrote:I think the metal vs. wood lathe case has been thoroughly explored.
ROFL. This isn't the first time this issue has been raised on this forum, and this thread is already 4 pages long. There are still dozens of pipemakers out there whose opinion has yet to be heard. This is a topic that will never be exhausted or resolved as long as there is more than one side to the issue.
Thus far all it's helped do is further confuse hazmat & jeeper.
Yes and No though I don't know if I ever expected a cut and dry answer I was hoping to invest my $250 and figured I'd ask what would be the better inestment, and to educate myself which I've done for certian. Probably the thing I've learned is that for $250 I’m not going to get into a lathe and cure my original issue, drilling. So now the internal issue I must fight with is weather I can just keep working as is and save for the rest of the required costs to get the lather to where I need it, or to get a drill press to cure the specific issue I’m having and continue to make pipes lathe free like many others. Yes I’m still uncertain as to which way I’m going, especially with the metal lathe thrown in which probably out of reach at this time. It may all boil down to what I find a good deal on at an auction. Oh yeah and if the CFO will approve my request for additional funds
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

It's not really confusion so much as it is an inability to make a decision :oops:

I have a Taig lathe, so I'm covered in that regard, though with certain limitations. I won't be making many Churchwarden stems, I'm afraid. I guess I look at it like this: I already have a buffing and shaping station... two operations a lathe would take over. But.. if I already have these, why do I need to replace them? What I have right now works. The only thing I really can't do with a lathe as things are is drill on one because I don't have one. How much of a limitation this is, I don't know. I've never really considered turning stummels on a lathe when I got involved in pipe making and I'm still not sure if I would want to. I like making the dust fly with the sanding discs... but maybe there's something I'm missing? I understand the limitations with a drill press versus drilling on a lathe but I've used one for years and I've not had very many problems(discounting times I didn't square blocks properly!) until recently due to wear. So this is where I've always hung myself up when the lathe question comes up. <shrugs>

Er.. I keep forgetting. I actually do have a wood lathe, I just have to clean it up and get it running. Even after I do that, I don't know if it will serve my purposes. Here's a link to a .pdf scan of the original Sears/Roebuck catalog listing. It's the $5.95 model(wow!).

http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/Craftsman/1941-Lathes.pdf
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dude, those are great lathes. I just bought a lathe from the same era, and it is just rock solid. Get that puppy fixed up.
hazmat

Post by hazmat »

Nick.. what did you do with the tailstock spindle so you could mount different centers and drill chucks? That's one of my biggest questions with rehabbing the one I have at home.
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

Well I ordered the delta midi I plan on making chess pieces as well and I can't do that o the drill press....funny how something so thin can convince you to go one way or the other.
Nick

Post by Nick »

The tailstock on my lathe - a craftsman 109.2063 - has a MT 0 adapter. I really thought I was screwed and that the dead center in there was perminent, but I found a forum dedicated to old craftsman lathes and was told that it would indeed come out. I've bought a chuck with a MT0 adapter, so I should be OK.

My advice would be just to dig around for information on your lathe. I bet its out there. It would seem really odd if the tailstock didn't have some kind of insert setup.
jeeper

Post by jeeper »

Well the Delta is here my Father who is a woodworker himself is going to get me a set of turrning tools so that's cool.
I think I'm going to look hard at the Barracuda 4jaw kit, it seems like a good deal and folks who have like it. So I’m not to far off now from having my lathe set up for drilling. Thanks for everyone’s help.