New to the forum

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ericlrobinson

New to the forum

Post by ericlrobinson »

Howdy all,

My name is Eric Robinson. I have been a forum lurker for a few months now. I thought it was time to make my first post.

I have been making pipes since this summer. I am on pipe #8 as of now. Here are a couple of my favorites.

Man pipe. This pipe is gigantic. I was going for hand grenade shape and size.

This is my most recent pipe. Not too much special about it.

Well, so there you have it. I was just looking for some feedback from some of you old pros.

To see the rest of my pipes visit my site.

http://www.pipes.ericlrobinson.com

Thanks all,
Eric-
Eric L Robinson

"Be a winner today, pick a fight with a four year old"

Nick

Post by Nick »

Hiya! nice looking pipes there bud. Welcome!
ckr

Post by ckr »

Hi Eric,
Nice pipes so far. I also noticed that some are other than briar. I thought I recognized cherry and walnut although I could be wrong. Anyway, what woods have you been using and how do they compare to briar?

Oh yea, welcome.

Fume in pace, ckr
ericlrobinson

Post by ericlrobinson »

Yea I have used other woods than briar. Right now I am living in Mexico, and so when I got started I wasn't able to just hop on the ol internet and order some nice briar. I was forced to find some local hard woods. My first couple of pipes were made from some wood that I found in a guys shop that made palapas (grass huts) and did some woodwork on the side. He said the wood was called salam. I am not sure how accurate that is.

I went back to the states for a visit and picked up some wood from my uncle. He makes furniture for a living. He gave me some mahogany and a couple of others that I cant remember the name. The mahogany has a nice dark color, but the pipe finished nice, but was still pretty rough. I wasn't a fan of it.

The man pipe (shown in the beginning of the post), I am thinking is made of maple. I can't remember for sure. It finished nicely. The only problem is that the drill seemed to rip up the wood just a little bit. Other than that it was great. I have been smoking one that I made of this wood, and it seems to do great.

Peace,
Eric L Robinson

"Be a winner today, pick a fight with a four year old"

ckr

Post by ckr »

I have had good luck with cherry and mesquite - once caked they both seem to smoke rather good. When shaping the cherry can have a tendency to tear out if it becomes really dry and is very different from working briar.