Google Checkout?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

Google Checkout?

Post by RadDavis »

Is anyone here familiar with Google Checkout? I'm getting ready to do some changes on my web site, and it's an option I'm looking at.

They charge less per transaction (to the seller) than Paypal, and it seems like using credit cards with them is pretty easy. I'm only able to take Paypal online right now, and it would be nice to be able to accept credit cards for sales.

Another plus is there's not that, "You've violated our terms of service by selling tobacco related items, so we're closing your account. We'll think about sending you your money in 6 months.", looming in the background all the time.

Anyone have any positive or negative experiences with Google Checkout?

Rad
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I have not. The last time I looked at it, it wasn't up to snuff for the type of onesy-twosey things that pipe makers do, but that was over a year ago.

I can look at it again, and see how it integrates with my site later on, or perhaps tomorrow, since I sense a couple Winter Warmers calling my name from the fridge.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Rad, I took a look and it seems to operate similarly to PayPal. If you don't have a shopping cart on your site, and just use the PayPal butons (like I do), it looks like it will operate in exactly the same fashion. Wether Google Checkout will integrate with specific shopping carts is a question, but it appears to have widespread support among both open source and commercial shopping cart systems, so chances are good.

There are two things that I see that could be stumbling blocks. First is that users seem to be required to sign up for the consumer side of Google Checkout before they can pay. Most users, however, are conditioned to accept this sort of thing (right, wrong, or indifferent) so it might not be a problem. Paypal doesn't require this step, which is helpful.

The other thing I see is a potential red flag for me as a seller, and that's the "payout limit" that doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason - at least not one that I can find. This means that Google will assign an arbitrary limit on the amount of money that it will transfer out of Google Checkout and into your bank account on a monthly basis. It doesn't appear to *change* every month, but it could suck if you derive a substantial part of your income from online sales and use Google Checkout.

Wait, I just started the sign-up process for Google Checkout, and they require your Federal EID, or your Social Security number in order to remove payout limits.

I don't see why Google Checkout requires this. The only conceivable reason I can think of is because they may use it to report to the IRS the income processed through them.

The only thing I will say, is that the IRS doesn't need anyone's help to further pry into my life.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Thanks for doing all that, Kurt!

I will probably go with it, since most people who've used it say they like it way better than Paypal. Anyway, it gives the customer a choice.

I'll check out the potential stumbling blocks, especially the payout limit.

Rad
Frank

Re: Google Checkout?

Post by Frank »

RadDavis wrote:Another plus is there's not that, "You've violated our terms of service by selling tobacco related items, so we're closing your account. We'll think about sending you your money in 6 months.", looming in the background all the time.
Rad, I'm just curious, is your statement above a fact? I merely ask because thousands of tobacco related items are bought & sold on eBay every day, myself included on occasion. Many, probably most, go through PayPal.
KurtHuhn wrote:Wait, I just started the sign-up process for Google Checkout, and they require your Federal EID, or your Social Security number in order to remove payout limits.

I don't see why Google Checkout requires this. The only conceivable reason I can think of is because they may use it to report to the IRS the income processed through them.
It was awhile back that I did the PayPal thing to remove the limit so I don't clearly remember, but don't they also require your SS number?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Hi Frank,

It has happened, at least people on different forums have posted about it, and they will keep any money in your account for up to 180 days, before giving it to you.

Rad