Ah, the Early Years...OUCH!

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Souljer wrote: I don't know if it's that I've just been unlucky and everyone was busy the times I posted, my work is so bad that everyone is embarrassed to say anything or I don't know. I don't take it personally though since I don't know anyone personally. However it's impossible not to notice when I see others post their work and they receive 10 or more responses. I still enjoy the site as an important resource and get a lot out of reading the various threads.
Part of the problem, at the reason why I give feedback sporadically, is time. As Trever touched on, the experienced guys are sometimes too busy to sit down for an hour or so and critique work. The one time where they can relax and really talk shop is at pipe shows - but that doesn't mean they can devote tones o time there either.

That said, there have been a couple new posts in the gallery that I've been meaning to comment on. Hopefully I can find some time in the next few days.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
souljer

Post by souljer »

Thanks for that Kurt, but I hope you understand that I was not directing my post and you or anyone in particular.

I was just stating my experience in contrast to what was previously posted.

I know you and Mr. T and everyone else is busy having a life.
So am I. :)
www.TotemStar.com - Some of my pipe related art
TreverT

Post by TreverT »

Souljer wrote:Thanks for that Kurt, but I hope you understand that I was not directing my post and you or anyone in particular.

I was just stating my experience in contrast to what was previously posted.

I know you and Mr. T and everyone else is busy having a life.
So am I. :)
Yeah, don't take it badly in any way. It's just that time I spend online talking about pipes is "work time" that pays nothing. If I'm going to just goof around, I'd rather talk about Godzilla movies or something, where I don't have to worry about being careful what I say.
Happy Smoking,
Trever Talbert
www.talbertpipes.com

My Pipe Blog:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/pipeblog/

My Lizards & Pipes Web Comic:
https://talbertpipes.com/category/lizards/
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

I'll jump in and make a comment on getting honest reviews. I don't write up comments anymore because it just takes too long and I'm out of the game, so to speak. I feel strange making comments since I am no longer actively selling my pipes.

Let me make two suggestions to those that want honest feedback.

1. Go to shows.
2. Arrange to call a few of the folks whose opinion you value.

Those two things did more for my pipe making than anything else. I don't know why anyone might want to, but I do love helping folks with their pipe making, but I'm only willing to do it on the phone these days.

Tyler
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Souljer wrote:First off Tyler, that's a fine looking pipe. Obviously you know it better than anyone can from just looking at a few photos, but it looks nice to me. Yes it's obviously a simpler, earlier piece but it's not as bad as you make it sound. I wish I had access to a blasting rig.

If you feel strongly about it, why don't you buy it and put it out of your misery?
Trust me, if $160 was a painless amount for me, I would. As it stands, $160 out the door would hurt worse than seeing that pipe online.