Mirlon sanding sheets:

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
bluesmk

Mirlon sanding sheets:

Post by bluesmk »

Gents, especially Kurt,
Just got back from Woodworkers, went for drill bits of the German variety and of course had to have a look around. Stumbled on some sanding sheets called Mirlon, look like they wood be great for stemwork. Came home and did the Google thing, damn they're made by Abranet. Any one have any experience with these sheets....any good, bad , indiferent?
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

They come in 4 grits - GP 320, VF 360, UF 1500, MF 2000.

They're sold for automotive work - body and paint stuff. I've used the UF and MF before, and my opinion is pretty high. You do need to sand up to about 800 grit before using them though, otherwise you'll have a tough time getting all the scratches out from previous grits.

The abrasive in these is Aluminum Oxide in GP and VF, and Silicon Carbide in UF and MF. Personally, I believe that using Silicon Carbide in your final sanding is absolutely necessary for a smooth even finish. The grain structure of Silicon Carbide is rectangular with lots of flat, scraping edges. Aluminum Oxide, on the other hand, is triangular and leaves lots of v-shaped troughs in the surface that are more difficult to polish out - especially on something like acrylic or ebonite. SC also helps in grit-to-grit transitions, and makes sanding go much quicker once you've got the groove of how it operates.

I use the Abrolon discs, which are foam-backed silicon carbide, for all grits. It really helps sanding go quickly and easily. IMO, silicon carbide is a superior material for the type of sanding that pipe makers do.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
bluesmk

Post by bluesmk »

Kurt,
Thanks! Thats just the type of critique I was looking for!
Best,
Dan
Gabrieli Pipes
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:I use the Abrolon[sic] :twisted: discs, which are foam-backed silicon carbide, for all grits. It really helps sanding go quickly and easily. IMO, silicon carbide is a superior material for the type of sanding that pipe makers do.
Speaking of Abralon discs, approximately how many pipes does a disc last? Can they be washed like the micromesh sheets?

I finally got the finer Abralon grits 1000, 2000 & 4000. Are these used after the final stain is applied?
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Unless I get really aggressive with a grit trying to use it before I really should be, they'll last for dozens of pipes. Maybe 2 dozen or thereabouts. I recently burned through 500-grit disc when I thought I was actually using a 360. It was only the second time I used it, and I was getting really aggressive with it, wondering why it wasn't cutting like I was expecting.

I guess the moral is - be gentle and it the Abralon :) will last quite a while.

I've never washed mine, but I don't see why you couldn't.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com