6th and 7th

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
Bear

6th and 7th

Post by Bear »

I finished both of these over the weekend. While I'm please with the overall shaping of both of these pipes I feel that my finishing has not improved from my previous. I used the same method of rusticating on the 7th as I did for my 5th. I was going to try something different but the person I made it for wanted it that way. On future pipes I'm going to have to experiement and find a method that is more pleasing to me. On the smooth pipe there are a few pits visible that showed up late in the process. I haven't decided what to do about them yet, I may end up trying out a new rustication method and see where it takes me. On my next few pipes I'm going to really concentrate on the finishing process. I feel that is where my skills are most lacking. Also as these are mostly pipes that I am either giving away or just keeping for myself so far I have used mostly echauchon blocks. I think I'm going to spend the extra cash on my next one and get a really quality piece of plateaux and really work on making my most complete pipe.

As always I welcome any and all comments and critiques. Thanks in advance.

Cariztian

Post by Cariztian »

Nice ones! I really like the odd design of the 2nd one!
Make your pipe
tritrek

Post by tritrek »

The second one resembles the 50's (or somewhere there in the times) design of Dunhill's racers' windproof pipes. Good job on both of them!
Bear

Post by Bear »

Glad you like the design of the second pipe, I wish I could take all the credit but I burrowed the design from a pipe my father used to have. I don't know who made it to give the proper credit.
android

Post by android »

they're both nice, particularly the second one. interesting design on the top.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I also like the second one.

I like the first one but the shank seems a bit beefy for the height and size of the bowl. The shank to bowl transition is almost too sharp on both. Round chainsaw files work well for getting a tight yet smooth transition from bowl to shank on many shapes.

Nice work and definite progress. They both look like great smokers.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com