Theory versus Formula, Principles versus Rules

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Learning to see is way more important than trying to follow a recipe
Hi Kurt,

You should read Todd's post again. I think you're missing his point. Most people can learn to see.

I knew an artist once who told me that she wasn't really that talented but that she was "visually literate".

There's a lot to that, I think.

Rad
jeff

Post by jeff »

RadDavis wrote:
Learning to see is way more important than trying to follow a recipe
Hi Kurt,

You should read Todd's post again. I think you're missing his point. Most people can learn to see.

I knew an artist once who told me that she wasn't really that talented but that she was "visually literate".

There's a lot to that, I think.

Rad
I agree. I think that rereading the original post will clear up any misunderstanding.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I hear you guys. I FEEL you guys. I understand your point of view.

What I'm saying, and probably not conveying properly, is that there are things that can be learned that require the proper teacher. Jeff, you were able to open my eyes, while Todd wasn't. Does that make his process invalid? No - it makes it not applicable to my learning process.

You can't make a blanket statement, based on your experience, and apply to every person. If that were true, autistic children could be taught in public school the same as every other child - and we know for a fact that isn't so.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Kurt,

This is a pretty blanket statement:
Unfortunately, the tone of your last post indicates that you might not be that person for most of the folks that want to learn.
Frankly, I think it takes some large balls for you to speak for "most of the folks that want to learn".

Todd gives great advice for new pipe makers, IMO. They are free to take it or leave it.

Rad
Frank

Post by Frank »

All of you major contributors to this thread make valid points, applicable to varying degrees to one or another pipemaker, from hobbyist to professional.

I'm sure a lot of folks are learning from this (I certainly am), but you're getting a bit close to the fire - take a step or two back.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

KurtHuhn wrote:I hear you guys. I FEEL you guys. I understand your point of view.

What I'm saying, and probably not conveying properly, is that there are things that can be learned that require the proper teacher. Jeff, you were able to open my eyes, while Todd wasn't. Does that make his process invalid? No - it makes it not applicable to my learning process.

You can't make a blanket statement, based on your experience, and apply to every person. If that were true, autistic children could be taught in public school the same as every other child - and we know for a fact that isn't so.
I regret that this has become about you (Kurt) and me. Kurt, you are, as I understand it, a professional pipemaker. If you didn't have significant enough clientele to support your pipemaking efforts, I doubt you would have made the jump. My opinion of your work is largely irrelevant. This is evidenced by the fact that Larry Roush probably makes quite a good living with his pipes, despite my personal assessment of them.

You've said that your real issue is with being written off, but I have never written you off. I am willing to concede, for the sake of argument here, that you are autistic, but I also have no obligation to you. I've not agreed to be your teacher or to hold your hand. I have taught a good many pipemakers in my shop and they have, to a man, become successful carvers in their own right. If you think you can become a great carver then go to it. If you think you can learn line and shape with the right instructor, fine. If you think I'm not him, we are probably in agreement.

You posted a pipe to the private gallery that was confused and ill formed. It had elements of two shapes but gave no clear indication as to which shape it was "trying" to be. I suggested that you learn the shapes better before trying to imitate them. Apparently you considered that unhelpful, but I meant it most sincerely, and took some time to find an electronic copy of the article I was talking about. My real point, though, was that you needed to decide on the shape you were making before there were grounds on which to critique it. In point of fact, the shape you suggested you were trying to make, and the shape that Jeff was trying to give you pointers on, were not the same.

If your learning process requires very specific instruction, I would suggest you not alienate those who may be able to provide it. I'm speaking less here of myself than of others.

Todd
larrysson

Post by larrysson »

Good thread...too bad it turned a bit ugly. I don't come out of the woodwork often to post, but I will venture out today. I really like what Jeff said here:

"The list can be learned. Great design in many cases can not. Great designs come from somewhere other than measurements, and books, and things that can be written down. Perhaps that is why good pipe descriptions contain poetry, prose, lyrics, and things that describe the pipe without making empirical observations. They are trying to get at the soul of a design."

My Grandfather is a fine artist...well, not so much anymore now that his hands shake a bit. But even though he doesn't paint professionally anymore, he is, and always will be, a fine artist. It comes from somewhere more than just his hands. A fine artist is taught rules, or a "list". Any artist can learn the list, but not every artist will go on to make a fine painting.

I can paint, but I will never be a fine artist. I know that I am missing something my Grandfather has, something that is deep within his personality. As a pipemaker, I know my limitations, the depth of my natural talents and my temperment (hot headed and impatient). I know that I am missing something needed to become a great pipemaker. I can make a good pipe, but I do not know how to make a great pipe, or a pipe with a soul. That is the differnce between being an artist (making a painting), and being a fine artist (giving that painting a soul). Can I learn to become a fine artist or great pipemaker? Honestly, I think not. I know my work will improve in a few areas, but thats about it, and I'm ok with that. Am I putting into place my own limitations? Perhaps.

Even though I think I will never be one of "the great" pipemakers, I do believe it is important to strive to become better at what we do. Some of us will be fortunate to find another pipe maker to help, some of us will have few opportunities to do so. Work with what you have.

To me, the most important lesson I have learned in making pipes, is to know thyself...be honest and realistic about your abilities. The second...have fun. Love your time in the shop. I'm a head banger so I love to go wild for the odd five or ten minutes with a broom handle and good song. I love shop time. The third, don't take it all so seriously. Relax! Laugh at your mistakes.

Well, take what I say for what you can get out of it, and bin the rest! Agree or disagree, its ok with me!

-Paul
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Well this got interesting quickly.

Since it seems to have degraded to insults when a differing opinion was introduced, I think it's best that we simply drop it, since nothing of further value can possibly be be added. Thank you for your contributions everyone.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com