Scarlett Johansson vs. the Klingon

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

Scarlett Johansson vs. the Klingon

Post by ToddJohnson »

Gentlemen,

I've been thinking and writing a lot about pipemaking, aesthetics, pricing, etc., and I've tried to compile my thoughts in a post to my blog. It is essentially my advice to new carvers with a few thoughts on the role collectors play in the development of a carver. I consider all this stuff to be extremely important, not just a bunch of aimless rambling on. I've been having a fair amount of back-and-forth with some notable collectors about the subject as well and hope to post my thoughts on that in a future post. I hope this is helpful--and not especially painful--reading.

Todd
Frank

Post by Frank »

Hold it right there, you cheeky young whippersnapper! Comparing Scarlett to a Klingon male is downright unfair. I think Klingon cleavage should be factored into the equation. :twisted:

Joking aside, I agree with your blog article. I was musing on the exact same subject yesterday, comparing the world of Fine Art to Pipemaking. Some untalented, so-called artist creates some hideous monstrosity, but is considered "talented" by wannabe so-called cognocenti because he/she produced something unique. Perhaps some people actually like a cow sliced into segments and put on display. If that's art, so is my arse. All it does is prove the old saying, "Money doesn't care who it owns".

I know exactly what you mean about eBay idiots. Two of them once went crazy for a used Peterson I was selling, and it finally sold for more than an exact same model, brand new Peterson. I laughed all the way to the bank. The general buying public are certainly not a criteria for deciding good or bad art, including pipes.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

HI Todd,

Your Toren Smith experience is one that I think every newish pipe maker who thinks he's "arrived" needs. A no frills critic.

Rad
sethile

Post by sethile »

Another great blog entry, Todd. Thanks for posting it!
RadDavis wrote:...Your Toren Smith experience is one that I think every newish pipe maker who thinks he's "arrived" needs. A no frills critic....
I'm getting closer--at least I've had the first part of that experience :wink:
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------