My pipe has a strange taste?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
italdesign

My pipe has a strange taste?

Post by italdesign »

Hi guys,

I’ve finally completed a pipe I decided to keep it for myself. I made it out of an Algerian Ebauchon block and it draws fabulous. However, when I smoke the pipe it leaves my mouth incredibly dry and woody tasting. I don’t know if this is because I didn’t pre carbonize the bowl or what but I’ve never experienced this while breaking in my purchased pipes. Any thoughts on what this could be? The stem is made of acrylic with a delrin tenon.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I can only think that the briar might be poorly cured, or that it has a soft spot which is burning. I guess smoke it and cake it up, and see if it gets better?
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

What tobacco are you smoking in it?

Algerian briar has a reputation for being very porous and imparting a very dry smoke. I have found this reputation well deserved, though I don't know if it's unique to Algerian briar or to well-cured briar in general.

Without a bowl coating, you will almost certainly taste wood during the first several smokes until it has formed a cake and is "broken in" - this should be considered normal.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Sasquatch wrote:I can only think that the briar might be poorly cured, or that it has a soft spot which is burning. I guess smoke it and cake it up, and see if it gets better?
I may be a tad nutty but I enjoy the taste of burning briar! I look forward to the wood shavings landing in my bowl while smoking! :D
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
italdesign

Post by italdesign »

Thank you for the responses. I’ve smoked Squadron Leader, Abington, Westminster, Etc… I only smoke Virginia flakes, English and Balkan blends. I’ve smoked 10 bowls so far and it is getting a little better but it literally makes my mouth feel like I just drank an imperial IPA. The next pipe will be coated before smoking and I’ll see if that helps. Thanks again.
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

italdesign wrote:...it literally makes my mouth feel like I just drank an imperial IPA.
Cool! I want a pipe like that! :D Don't unfix it!
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

kbadkar wrote:
italdesign wrote:...it literally makes my mouth feel like I just drank an imperial IPA.
Cool! I want a pipe like that! :D Don't unfix it!
Oh, hell yeah!! And if you can make one that tastes like a dry Irish stout, I'd love one of those! :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
italdesign

Post by italdesign »

haha. I figured there would be a few beer geeks around here :lol: