Bauhaus and Art Deco....

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Gerrit Jan

Bauhaus and Art Deco....

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Good afternoon, evening, lads, gents,

It's quite difficult to explain what kind of information I'm exactly searching for...
inspiration to the "thinking proces" is this pipe made by Roland Negoita:

This should be "Art Deco", as far as I understood a period of functional design. In that same period there was another functional design style named "Bauhaus". (1919-1939)
I have googled already somewhat but I have still questions..
1) Can someone explain me the difference between these two styles. Are they ordered in a family or how should they be ordered otherwise..
2) Are there.. as far as known by now, more pipecraftsman, artists, involved, inspired by this style ?? Or influenced by industrial/functional art??
3) If there are artists who are working in these styles, could it be possible to write them with specifical questions. ( I mean.. we are talking here in this forum to each other.. and in my eyes there some real "superstars" among us... it took me e.g about 3 years before I dared to ask Roger Wallenstein some specifical questions..)
4) Is there a computerprogram suitable to design "industrial art".
Maybe I should explain a little more the how and why of this questions.

Well, I live in a the little harbertown Vlissingen, with the formerly dockyard RSV. The old buildings where the parts of the ships have been build are still there and -as it seems- they are going to be used as artistic, creative places. Exposures, see the artists work there...
So, in my head there are different themes twirling ... briar, steel, porcelain, industrial design... and how to transform these items to -maybe- a new style, design.
To my opion there is such a power hidden in these buildings, in the "leftovers" you can still find on that industrial fields... in combination with the power of the North Sea... some much power... it's overwhelming almost.

Well, thank you for your attention, reading this weird ideas....

groet
GJ
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

Someday, I will join your de-constructed industrial revolution.

I wouldn't categorize the picture of the pipe you posted as Bauhaus or Art Deco... it's more functional Dada-Surreal.

Last edited by kbadkar on Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Would you please be so nice and explain why it's to your opinion DaDa?? I'm just a "don't-know-nothing-about-art" but I used the verb Art Deco because Mr. Ronald Negoita called the serie so. :oops:

Someday, you will join my de-constructed... what do you mean by that, if I may ask....

GJ
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

The schools of Dada (in photo and graphic montage and "readymades") and Surrealism liked to make unorthodox juxtapositions, to challenge traditional logic and appeal to the dream state of creativity. The Negoita "oom paul" intentionally wanted the stem to appear misplaced and challenge the traditional "pipe shape" sense of order. Bauhaus and Art Deco simplified design and function, but wasn't meant to shock artistic sensibilities.

When I can make a prefectly pretty and prig pipe without effort, then I feel I will have earned the right to start breaking traditional pipe pre-conceptions.

Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well, that's funny. I had a Stanwell-freehand -kinda Dublin- that I'm rebuilding in a "Cup-hold-by-hand" (as seen in the old claypipes-shapes) I replaced the mouthpiece nearly exactly the way you did. Vertical,... :oops:

GJ
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

This is my first post...I've been lurking and learning quite a bit recently and figured I would chime in as I am also interested in art philosophies and design approaches.

GJ, as far as Bauhaus vs. Art Deco goes, they seem to me to be almost polar opposites. The Bauhaus architects and designers held to a function over form mentality, "the less is more" philosophy. They tended to stay away from unnecessary decoration, whereas the Art Deco folks wallowed in decoration. Many Art Deco buildings are covered in purely decorative elements.

I agree with the Dada angle that kbadkar mentions in reference to the Negoita pipe. Mr. Negoita seems to be having a lot of fun with the traditional form/idea of a pipe. I do see why Negoita calls it Art Deco, though, as it does call to mind that era of design. Aesthetically it has an Art Deco feel, particularly the metal work. From a design perspective I see some Bauhaus through the general lack of ornamentation and industrial approach. I would be interested in what Negoita's approach to this one was...I suspect most of us could learn a thing or two from him.
When I can make a prefectly pretty and prig pipe without effort, then I feel I will have earned the right to start breaking traditional pipe pre-conceptions.
I'm with you on that one...hopefully my hands will catch up one of these days.

-Micah
Gerrit Jan

Post by Gerrit Jan »

Well. Micah, thanks for your explanation. I've studied now a little while on these Mr. Negoita pipes. For me, as a newbie, it's awfully hard just to draw pictures of pipes like these. I have a cavalier shape in my mind that excists of two of the elements as shown above. The problem is where do I place a mouthpiece... because these two elements - fit in the opposite together- are just so close in harmony ...everywher I would situate a mouthpiece... it would disturb the harmony. Second question is: is it possible to make such pipes by hand, or do you need those "CNC" machines??
And yes, it would be so nice if Mr Negoita would give his opinion....

And last but least, how I do translate the quote above I still don't understand it. I haven't spoken English for to long just to get essence of what is meant to be said.

But thank you both by helping me thinking. For me that's just a great part of the fun.... thank you

GeeJay