Skills

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
restever99

Skills

Post by restever99 »

Hello to you all!

I've been a carpenter for quite some time now for a popular world wide swedish furniture store who's name will remain unknown. Originally I started building theatrical sets about 10+ years ago. I've also been an avid pipe smoker since I was 19. Now 26, I feel my skills and knowledge as a carpenter have come to a standstill as most of my work involves painting and cutting boards to size on a table saw. Work most anyone can do. In my spare time at work I've found myself praticing pipemaking on spare chunks of 2x4, slowly turning out better work each day before I move onto more expensive materials. I am intent on improving my skills as a woodworker and moving onto another job where I can learn more about it. Since most everyone on this site seems to be quite skilled in fine woodwork I was wondering if any of you out there could give me some tips on where to take myself to learn the skills and finer points of woodcraft as this is my choice of career and one day I hope to be a master craftsman. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you all,

Justin
When life hands you lemons, light your pipe and contimplate what to do with those lemons.
Sasquatch

Re: Skills

Post by Sasquatch »

Restever, it's a bit hard to find a job where serious skill needs to be applied on a daily (or even weekly) basis. I do renovations for a living, so I do rough carpentry, finishing, wood work, etc, but really, it's almost all done by rote. I've trimmed so many windows I can do it just perfect, and homeowners (non carpenters) are amazed at how good I can do it and how fast I can do it that well. I don't even think about it anymore. But really, there are tolerances on most projects - you can fill a gap with caulking and then paint it - presto it's gone.

Pipes, on the other hand, are ridiculously demanding, because they are small, and handled up close, and the materials used are not forgiving at all. So that's a place where I work very slow (not for money) and do things as perfectly as I am able. It's a challenge each and every time to read the briar correctly, and get the shape out, and get it finished.

How do you learn? Do it. Try it. Order some stems and blocks. Post here and get some advice.

How do you get better at woodwork in general? There are books of projects which have all kinds of useful information. If you've got a table saw, get some walnut or something and make some jewelry boxes. If you screw up your joints, it will show. If you screw up your sanding, it will show.

Projects like that FORCE your skill level back where it should be. (No one wants to pay for handcut dovetails anymore, not at IKEA anyhow. But I'll bet you know how to do it.) Do it for fun, take your time, and make something wonderful. Someone will buy it. Then do it again, and again, and suddenly, you find you are making money doing something you love.

The first piece of briar I stained - man, I sanded and sanded... thought it was perfect. Stain went on, and showed EVERY sanding scratch. Sanded it again. Stained again. EVERY scratch showed. AGAIN! It was frustrating, especially as I have done SO much wood finishing. Suddenly it was a challenge, and I had to rise up to it. That's the only way to improve, right?

Just my .02. Good luck.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Frank

Post by Frank »

For the pipemaking stuff, loads of info here: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Nick

Post by Nick »

I can't add much to what squatch said He really nailed it Its the simple challenge of the thing So what if you're less than good Who gives a crap Its just for you right now. Go for it! Challenge yourself You'll probably make all of us si up and take notice here!

NJ