Pipe Identification

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
restever99

Pipe Identification

Post by restever99 »

Hello hello,

Today I was given a pipe by my mothers boyfriend. It's a very interesting pipe and I've never seen anything like it before. Just because of it's construction I can tell it's decorative, but I was wondering if anyone out there has seen anything like it and could possibly tell me who may have made it. Here are some pictures:

It's solid wood, except for a metal thread that holds the stem to the stummel. The pipe and the stand are completely hand carved. If anyone has any idea about this pipe or where I can go to find out more about it, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
When life hands you lemons, light your pipe and contimplate what to do with those lemons.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Pipe Identification

Post by baweaverpipes »

I believe that was made by Billy the Beer Burper, who lived in an alley on the lower east side of Main Street in Skull Bone, TN.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

During his Chinese Dragon phase?

That reminds me of all the weird carved stuff my Grandma had from China, with the tail wrapping up the pipe like that. So that's my guess.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

I have to admit, that's one ugly pipe... but that gets some attention in certain circles. Do you smoke a pipe?
restever99

Post by restever99 »

I'm very well aware of the aesthetic value of this pipe:-p. It was given to me as a gift from someone who doesn't know much about pipes, but is doing their best to perform a nice gesture.

Yes I smoke pipes very often. (Not this one.) 3-5 a day depending on if I'm at home or in the workshop. I am currently gearing up to carve one of my own. Been practicing on scrapwood. I hope to have one made soon.
When life hands you lemons, light your pipe and contimplate what to do with those lemons.