Blog Update

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
ToddJohnson

Blog Update

Post by ToddJohnson »

I've finally managed to update my blog today with an exploration of antique bakelite. Please have a look and feel free to share your comments:

http://todd-m-johnson.blogspot.com/2009 ... elite.html

Thanks,

Todd
REH

Re: Blog Update

Post by REH »

Interesting read. Bakelite is indeed beatuful stuff but I have only seen pictures.
How does it feel in your teeth?
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

See, you didn't like the ornate lucite because it was not ornate enough. :roll:
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

m.c. wrote:See, you didn't like the ornate lucite because it was not ornate enough. :roll:
Huh . . .?
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

REH wrote:Interesting read. Bakelite is indeed beatuful stuff but I have only seen pictures.
How does it feel in your teeth?
Very nice, it not as soft as vulcanite but not as hard as lucite. I personally love it!
m.c.

Post by m.c. »

ToddJohnson wrote:
m.c. wrote:See, you didn't like the ornate lucite because it was not ornate enough. :roll:
Huh . . .?
The bakelite items on your blog are dazzlingly beautiful, and they out-ornate, IMO, the ornate lucite you eschewed. :D And they resemble some sorts of jewellry like agate, amber, etc. (not sure of those perplexing names of stones.) So, it takes some preter-glitz to bend the principles of the glitz-hating reserved gentleman. :lol:

Really attractive material. I have only seen dull-looking black/brown bakelite used for radios,stamps and combs. These simply don't look the same sort of thing. Just don't understand why it's not produced as much as decades ago.