scroll saw?

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
Bear

scroll saw?

Post by Bear »

anyone ever used a scroll saw in place of a band saw? my bandsaw broke down and until i find a replacement my brother-in-law said i could use his scroll saw. well he lives like 5 hours away and i didn't feel like taking the drive if it wasn't worth it. i've never used a scroll saw and was having doubts on if they could do the job needed. any info would be helpful.
Sasquatch

Re: scroll saw?

Post by Sasquatch »

Scroll saws are slow and tedious compared to a bandsaw. They run out all over the place, and aren't capable of thick-stock cuts, for the most part. So if you are looking to cut your briar blocks, I'd say it's not an ideal choice at all. I wouldn't drive 5 hours for it, I don't think.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Sasquatch wrote:I wouldn't drive 5 hours for it, I don't think.
Seconded.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I did when I first started making pipes, imagine trying to cut a block of briar with a butter knife...it takes FOREVER to cut. :banghead:
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Yep. Fix your bandsaw - or get a new one. 10 hours of drive time, plus a geologic age to cut the briar block, equals one pissed off hobbyist.

9" bandsaws are less than $100 all day long. If I drove for 10 hours, chances are I would have spent at least that in fuel.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

If you have a belt grinder with a coarse belt and don't need the briar scraps, a 24 grit belt will chew off the excess in no time. Wear a mask.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Post by kbadkar »

If you have a table saw, you could always play Russian roulette with your fingers, ala Barry Jones:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2299

If you have a Skil-saw, secure it upside down. :twisted:
Nick

Post by Nick »

EEEEKK!