Lathe brand - please help with info

Discussions of tools wether you bought them or made them yourself. Anything from screwdrivers to custom chucks and drilling rigs.
GbpBulgaria

Lathe brand - please help with info

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Hello

does anyone knows something about Lathe having brand name HARRIS?
Finally i have found these new lathes in my area at good price, smaller is about USD 1150, but i do not want to buy something like this without additional opinion. So please, if anyone knows something about these machines or the brand name just shoot me a message here or at george@gbpipes.com.
The link where i have found them is
http://polymeta.bg/?page=newmach&cat=4&pid=37
unfortunately the specification is in Bulgarian only
I like model PM 250C.
I will try to translate partial:
Distance between centers 400 / 550 / 750 - what this means, why there are 3 numbers here?
Weight 153 kg
Mandrel opening 21mm
Mandrel rpm - 125 – 2000
This is the main equipment of the machine
1) 3-jaws chuck
2) Front center
3) Back center
4) Set gears for change
7) faceplate without jaws
9) Transitional bushing

Thank you!
JHowell

Re: Lathe brand - please help with info

Post by JHowell »

Haven't heard of the name, but the lathes look like typical Chinese machines. Anybody can have machines made in China and put their name on them, that's neither good nor bad. As such, I would expect that they have some standard spindle mount for chucks and that you'll be able to get additional face plates if needed. 1150 USD for what looks like a 9 or 10 inch lathe would be pretty cheap here in the US, and usually with Chinese products you get about what you pay for. You can't really tell quality specification from the pictures. I would base my decision on whether or not to buy the lathe on the attention and service you get from the dealer, because there's a certain chance that you'll need help. Are there any Bulgarian machinists' forums?

Jack
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

JHowell wrote:Haven't heard of the name, but the lathes look like typical Chinese machines. Anybody can have machines made in China and put their name on them, that's neither good nor bad. As such, I would expect that they have some standard spindle mount for chucks and that you'll be able to get additional face plates if needed. 1150 USD for what looks like a 9 or 10 inch lathe would be pretty cheap here in the US, and usually with Chinese products you get about what you pay for. You can't really tell quality specification from the pictures. I would base my decision on whether or not to buy the lathe on the attention and service you get from the dealer, because there's a certain chance that you'll need help. Are there any Bulgarian machinists' forums?

Jack
Hello Jack
i am 99% sure these are chineese, this was the main reason to ask in the forum. I have small Einhel lathe i hav purchased for about 600 EUR from the shop few years before. As far as i was prety new with lathes i have crack it. After we disassemble it i was (more than this, a person - my friend helping me - having 50 years lathes experience) were amazed because the main gears (these for fast and slow speed) were made of plastic. I have the picture - these were totaly broken having no big loading on them for sure.
So, the good thing is i can go there and see at place. You are right, it is people depending, as i will need help for sure with chineese lathe :wink:

Best
George
Frank

Post by Frank »

I would hazard a guess that the 250 is the swing over bed in mm, which is just under 10". Swing over cross-slide is probably 140mm, which is 5 1/2".

Take your friend with 50 years experience with you and check out the machine at the dealer's. Your friend will probably know what questions to ask the dealer. Don't forget to ask about a warranty.
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
GbpBulgaria

Post by GbpBulgaria »

Frank wrote:I would hazard a guess that the 250 is the swing over bed in mm, which is just under 10". Swing over cross-slide is probably 140mm, which is 5 1/2".

Take your friend with 50 years experience with you and check out the machine at the dealer's. Your friend will probably know what questions to ask the dealer. Don't forget to ask about a warranty.
Thank you Frank,

this is exactly what i am thinking to do. However i will check this lathes, but will search for older (better) machine secondhand, because i cannot trust the bg dealers of small machnes. and will check this with my friend Ivan:)

Best
George
JHowell

Post by JHowell »

The gear train that drives the lead screw from the spindle is plastic on many Chinese lathes. This may seem like a bad idea, but it's not that bad -- could save something more expensive breaking if you crash a power feed. And the only time these gears are turning is when you're using the power feed or threading, and machines in this price range often go their whole lives without cutting a thread. A more expensive machine will have cast iron gears, but it's meant to survive shop use and to be used by more highly trained operators.

Jack