Groomsmen Gifts help

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Schubeck

Groomsmen Gifts help

Post by Schubeck »

I am getting married in 3 weeks, and I have been trying to find something for my groomsmen. I don't want to get something corney; it needs to be something they can use and will use. The good part is that they all smoke a pipe, so I can buy them the same thing and it will work. I had though about making a pipe set for all of us, but I simply do not have the time now. I saw that one of ya'll did this, and it was an awesome idea. A nice 6 pipe set would be nice to have, but it's a little pricy. I was thining about buying each of them a nice pipe lighter or a tamp, but I can't decide. Possibly a nice pocket knife? any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Groomsmen Gifts help

Post by KurtHuhn »

I've seen both knives and pipes given as groomsmen gifts - both factory produced and hand-made. IMO, handmade is always better since it provides a personal touch to commemorate a momentous occasion. Knives are nice since they're tools and can be carried and used everywhere. Good handmade knives are almost universally appreciated by men and women alike. The problem is that handmade knives, especially folders, can be incredibly expensive.

Here's a suggestion:
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_i ... ts_id=1920

That's a folder kit that's fairly inexpensive. This one is nice in that it's small, fairly easy to put together, and has a blade of AUS-8 stainless. There is a slight learning curve to putting together a lockback, so if that concerns you or you want something more modern, there's this:
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_i ... cts_id=805

I've made two or three of each of those, and they're both really nice if you take the time to finish them out, tune them right, and pay careful attention to detail. With the addition of some handle material (briar, perhaps) they'll really be a nice gift.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
TimGeorge
Site Supporter

Post by TimGeorge »

If time is an issue, you might consider that I got an amazing handmade stag handle pocket knife for about $45 last year from one of the few independent knifemakers still working in Sheffield, England, named Trevor Ablett. I am sure there are other wonderful knifemakers, including some on this forum, but this price seems stuck in the past and the story is a good one. Just google for some youtube videos. Anyway, the knives are for sale here:

http://www.sheffield-cutlery.com/pocketknife.html

(You might also try sales@littlemesters.com, which may be a more direct route to the knifemaker but the website is gone now, the victim of UK laws regarding the sale of "sharps" to minors).
Regards,
Tim
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Oh my goodness! That is, without a doubt, one of the best deals I've ever seen on a traditional handmade slipjoint folder. Holy crap! And the price is within the realm of "impulse purchase" to boot. I've got half a mind to buy one myself.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Make the pipes :D It might have been me that you were talking about. I made the groomsmen and the pastor pipes! 6 pipes total with no time for myself, but the best man got me a Dunhill. :D

I'd say go with some Old Boy lighters. Get the silver ones and get them engraved.

btw Early Congrats!
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

http://www.houserhandmadepipes.com/
Schubeck

Post by Schubeck »

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I went to my local cigar/pipe shop called Burns' Tobacconist and checkout what they had. I looked at some nice pipe lighters, but nothing really jumped out at me. I would have loved to make them all a personal pipe, but like I said before, I'm out of time. I ended up going up to this shop up in Cleveland TN. It's about 60 miles from my house; it's called Williams' Tobacco. He sells the black and milds, cigorettes, backwoods, and all of the typical gas station tobacco, but in the back of the store, he has the biggest pipe selection around my area. Probably 100-150 pipes in stock, nice quality. He had a nice Eric Nording pipe set that I bought. 6 pipes, 6 bags, and a nice lined box to keep them in. They were all in my price range as well. My groomsmen should really like them. Briarfox, you were the person I was talking about witht he wedding set. I absolutley loved it. Thanks again for the advice.
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

Schubeck wrote:Thanks for all of the suggestions! I went to my local cigar/pipe shop called Burns' Tobacconist and checkout what they had. I looked at some nice pipe lighters, but nothing really jumped out at me. I would have loved to make them all a personal pipe, but like I said before, I'm out of time. I ended up going up to this shop up in Cleveland TN. It's about 60 miles from my house; it's called Williams' Tobacco. He sells the black and milds, cigorettes, backwoods, and all of the typical gas station tobacco, but in the back of the store, he has the biggest pipe selection around my area. Probably 100-150 pipes in stock, nice quality. He had a nice Eric Nording pipe set that I bought. 6 pipes, 6 bags, and a nice lined box to keep them in. They were all in my price range as well. My groomsmen should really like them. Briarfox, you were the person I was talking about witht he wedding set. I absolutley loved it. Thanks again for the advice.
Do you need an extra groomsman? :D Sounds like a good selection. Now the question is, what tobacco will you all break them in with?
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-

Schubeck

Post by Schubeck »

ha. I will have to find another brides maid if I add you. Then we will have to redo the programs. The miss' wont like that. :) I actually haven't thought about what backy im going to use for them. They all smoke a variety of blends. My best man smokes northwoods. It's an english blend that we get from a tobacco shop up in PA. A store called Boswell's sells it. The other guys all like a good cavendish. I am a darker blend man myself. i like black cavendish, black cordial, ect. But it is going to be cold out. It's an indoor wedding, but I think the "committee" will frown on us smoking in church. Any suggestions as to what tobacco is I should use? It would probably have to be a tin of tobacco since blends vary from tobacco stores, something I can order for us all. Maybe a roll cake type tobacco.. o the options are endless..
Briarfox

Post by Briarfox »

I'd find something special that you can't smoke every day. I got a can of Three Nuns awhile back and saved it for the wedding day. Several of the groomsmen and myself are C.S. Lewis fans so it was meaning full.
Chris Houser
-Houser Handmade-