Metal bowl inserts?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Kada

Metal bowl inserts?

Post by Kada »

Hi folks, I am new around here and am not exactly sure where to post this.

Browsing around looking at pipes, i see many have thin metal insserts lining the inside of the bowl. I am wondering what are the preferred types to use?

I want htis because i make pipes based more ono aesthetics which means sometimes softer wood which is not nice for a bowl.

Thanks for any help :)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Metal bowl inserts?

Post by KurtHuhn »

Definitely do NOT use those. They are typically pressed from brass, which is highly poisonous to smoke from due to the lead content, never mind the other alloying metals that outgas at smoking temps. Some are nickel plated brass, but don't let that fool you into thinking they're safe. And then there are even others that are made from leaded tin so they can be stamped easily - the horror!

Again, do NOT use those. They will eventually kill you or your customers.

And the above doesn't do it for you, maybe the fact that they're only ever used in substandard, mass-produced, ugly, cheap pipes might sway you. They're the hallmark of the crappiest of the crap.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Kada

Post by Kada »

well that is certainly good to know. strange thing is i found them on the net in some very expensive pipes.

so is there any kind of alternative for this kind of situation? i know glass works well, but is not easy to work into a wood pipe, and breaks easy. would perhaps the only alternative be a hard wood (like briar) insert of a decent thickness? that would limit the sizes of the pipes, but may be workable....
what do you think?

thanks again for the help :)
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

I'm a total newb, so don't place a lot of merit in this, but if you're insistant on not using briar you might consider lining a bowl with meerschaum or clay....? I don't know how practical the idea is; I'd just use briar or one of the pipe-suitable alternatives.
Kada

Post by Kada »

glad you mentioned that. These pipes are made from very different woods, mostly for ceremonies and such, so they are not being used 5 times a day kind of thing, but they should hold up to the test of time (as in not burn through). right now i am going to be practicing with different things for the bowl area on other fruit woods until i find a suitable one.

meerschaum is not an available thing around here, but clay/stone certainly is.