Discussion, briar, burl, wood.

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
StephenG

Discussion, briar, burl, wood.

Post by StephenG »

I looked all over the forum but couldn't find much info on briar.
Is briar the only acceptable burl for pipe making. Is there domestic briar that grows wild in the states. All I can really find on briar is that it might refer to wild rose thickets or berry thickets. I have been collecting various burls locally from landscapers removing bushed and trees, could this burl be useful even though it is not briar? Are there any non briar woods used in pipe making? Thanks Steve
kbadkar
Site Supporter

Re: Discussion, briar, burl, wood.

Post by kbadkar »

Just about any non-toxic wood burl would be fine and have interesting grain. Fruit and nut hardwoods are generally safe. R.Perkins has experimented with Manzanita, which is related to the white heath (Erica arborea) from which briar comes (root burl). Proper treatment of the burl - boiling out tanins and sap, slow drying - is essential to get a good smoking pipe material.

- check out the "Alternative Materials" section about suitable woods and especially Pierredekat's experiments with Manzanita root burl.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Olive wood is an excellent alternative to briar. Similar working characteristics and makes a good smoking pipe.
flix

Post by flix »

I think the question is limited to burls.

I don't know of any other burls that can be used other than Manzanita and Briar. I suppose that fruit/nut trees' burl might be usable, but, I'm not sure if fruit/nut trees even do have burl. Even then, the burl may have differing properties compared to the above-the-ground-stuff.
pennsyscot

Post by pennsyscot »

The Mountain Laurel is a wild tree that is native to the U.S. and has a burl that is suitable for pipemaking. It grows all over the place around me. I believe that U.S. pipe factories used it at one time. I thought about trying to use it. However, the process of boiling blocks and then properly curing them would take more time and trouble than its worth.
Philthy

Post by Philthy »

pennsyscot wrote:The Mountain Laurel is a wild tree that is native to the U.S. and has a burl that is suitable for pipemaking. It grows all over the place around me. I believe that U.S. pipe factories used it at one time. I thought about trying to use it. However, the process of boiling blocks and then properly curing them would take more time and trouble than its worth.
I was not aware of this use of mountain laurel until recently. One of the guys in the local pipe club is new to pipe making as am I and he mentioned this fact and that since we have loads of it around here he had actually harvested some. Just saw him tonight and he has several he is going to give me. Of course now I am going to need to let it age/dry. anybody that knows of a supply I would love to try at least one while my stuff dries.