Mr. Hyde Pipes - Pipe Booklet

Want to show you work to the world? Want a place to post photos of your work and solicit the opinions of those that have gone before you? Post your work here.
TRS
Site Supporter

Re: Mr. Hyde Pipes - Pipe Booklet

Post by TRS »

The inlays I was talking about are the tiny rings of wood like on the stems of Omut and Liverpool. They are very thin and precise. Really excellent work Eder!
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

On those, Dremel too :D
Once I cut a piece of ornamental wood, or ebonite, etc., I use two sand disks that I made for Dremel.

The one from the left has 50mm and the other has 30mm of diameter. You can attach the sandpaper grit
you want, but as Dremel goes from 3000rpm minimum, I use 120 grit. Thinner grits will pretty much burn the
wood than sand it. The disk behind the sandpaper is made from malleable carton. The good thing of using
cartons is that you can bend the disk when pressing it against the wood or inlay. With those disks you also
can make flat, triangular, hexagonal shanks and very thin stems having shallower scratches than
using regular files.
I do this for the inlays: Hold the piece of the chosen material pressing it with a finger against the table.
Using the bigger disk sand the inlay from the middle to the borders . Once you got the thickness you want,
use sandpaper or files to make it more flat. I always do a plug on the shank face before sticking
the inlays. Besides, the external inlay always has some mm more than the others. That's what
I call as "being precocious". Eventually, you can damage it when drilling the mortise or you need to
sand it a bit more to have a flat surface to fit the stem. Once everything is on the place, I define
the shank and inlays final shape making them all together as they were a single piece of wood.

eder.
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

Very meticulous! Thanks for sharing your methods Eder!
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

I just took a look at your Lovat and wow! I love the Lovat shape and I think your interpretation of it is really outstanding.
You mentioned you sand the airholes of your pipes. Do you find it improves the smoking qualities of your pipes?

P.S. I just posted my second pipe here in the gallery and, as an admirer of your work and your technique, I would really appreciate any feedback you could offer (good or bad--please don't hold back).

Thanks for posting your work, it is super inspiring for this newbie to see!

Frank
(Sorringowl)
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Sorringowl wrote:I just took a look at your Lovat and wow! I love the Lovat shape and I think your interpretation of it is really outstanding.
You mentioned you sand the airholes of your pipes. Do you find it improves the smoking qualities of your pipes?

P.S. I just posted my second pipe here in the gallery and, as an admirer of your work and your technique, I would really appreciate any feedback you could offer (good or bad--please don't hold back).

Thanks for posting your work, it is super inspiring for this newbie to see!

Frank
(Sorringowl)
Thanks a lot Frank.
But I also take myself as a newcomer on pipemaking. And sure; I'll post some comments on your threads.
I'm really trying to do some variations of standard shapes. But still didn't give up of my crazy ideas of some freehands :D

I don't know if a pipe can smokes better when its airhole is smoother. But how smoother the airhole
is better the pipe cleaner passes through. Besides, when looking a very smooth airhole you have a
much better feeling about the craftsmanship work :wink:

Here are my latest two.
Thank you all for looking and commenting.

Lovat

Clog
loosvelt

Post by loosvelt »

Dude I am not going to lie, you are one of my favorite makers.
“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Nietzsche

Green Eyes, Black Rifles, and Briar Pipes....
zack

Post by zack »

Just went threw your catalog and man is it impressive all of them are wonderful works of art! Does the dudka smoke well?? It looks like it would lose its tobacco as your smoked it. However it looks really nice, I would really like something like it.
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

zack wrote:Just went threw your catalog and man is it impressive all of them are wonderful works of art! Does the dudka smoke well?? It looks like it would lose its tobacco as your smoked it. However it looks really nice, I would really like something like it.
Thanks Zack.
Yeap, Dudka smokes fine. Its load capacity is very few,
but if the tobacco is well packed it can smoke up to 10min.
Loose cut pipe tobacco and rolling tobacco work better with it.

eder.
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

wow... Lovat is so elegant looking... bowl looks so nice....
like them both :)
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Here are two more I finished last week.
I have a YouTube channel and I'm uploading videos of my latest pipes.
Feel free to subscribe, add some comments, etc. :wink:

Panel

Water Drop
When I started to make the Water Drop pipe I was thinking in making it symmetric
concerning both sides of the bowl. After some sandpaper I found a little flaw...
Ok, let's remove this damn flaw... and another came out which was even deeper.
I was thinking about rustication but in the end I decided to remove all the flaws
and didn't matter if I could have a pipe after all. On other pipes, it happened
just like that... a flaw here, remove that, a flaw there, remove that...
when I saw; no pipe anymore. On Water Drop I was a bit more lucky :wink:

eder
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

HOLY CRAP! I gotta agree that the Lovat is stunning.

B2
Brandon Brooks

"The voices in my head won't let me have any imaginary friends"
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
http://www.brandon-brooks.com
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Let me get this straight...you DON'T have a lathe? How are you doing such great work? How are you drilling? How are you making your stems? Etc... I could go on.

B2
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
Dotter

Post by Dotter »

OMG, Water Drup is simply stunning!!! Beautiful pipe, beautiful!!!
Dotter, Croatia
ND Pipes

Post by ND Pipes »

this is what i started to love when working with briar...
sometimes it moves you out of the normal way of working and forces you to change a plan(to "save the block") to make something that is even more beautiful than original plan would be...

few days ago, when working with my last briar block i realized that idea, when i stumbled on a crack in the block... my end result will not be that beautiful like Your Water Drop but hopefully i will finish it and be happy with the result...

Mr. Hyde, Water Drop looks so nice and liquid I am amazed.... so nice....
"URTEILE NICHT ÜBER DINGE, VON DENEN DU NUR ECHO UND SCHATTEN KENNST !"

http://tnd-pipes.com/
eder
Site Supporter

Post by eder »

Thanks man, but you can call me Eder ;)
Little Water Drop could be better in some points but my overall evaluation is a "cute" for it.

I have been trying to make some lightweight pipes... having from a bit less than 1oz and up to 1-1/2oz.
Only under request I'm making bigger pipes. That's being pretty challenging because when you work
with reduced sizes is difficult to rollback mistakes and the creativity has to be a bit more accurate.

Here are two more for your love or hate :D

I was thinking in to make a regular Liverpool. But I love tattoos and I'm always watching some
nice tattoos and creating some ideas for my next one.
Tribal

This one was more regular stuff. But I found a guy selling some nice pieces of wood from Russia.
The yellow shank extension is from maple burl. The maple I got from him is amazing, in some parts
it got blue bird eyes.
Carpus

Cheers,
eder.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Love!

Ass is a bit fat on Carpus but she's got a nice face. Tribal is, as the young ones say, "sick"! :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
bandkbrooks

Post by bandkbrooks »

Tribal...not everyone's cup of tea but it is mine. I love it. I've done some things like this but not this beautiful. How are you getting such clean lines for the designs?
Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks

Brandon Brooks Pipes
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Dude, you're really talented. I don't like all of your pipes, but then I don't like all of mine either. Keep it up and you're likely to turn into a pipemaker. I think you're actually beyond the point of soliciting criticism from us. You should just keep developing your style and honing your craft. Are you selling this stuff? Come to think of it, PM me and I'll set you up with someone who will. Where are you living?

TJ
jogilli
Site Supporter

Post by jogilli »

Nice pipes.... I'm not a fan of bamboo or tattoo's but I must admit that is probably the nicest combination of the two I've ever seen. Very very nice.

james
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Tribal and Water Drop are my favorites,such fresh lines and beautifully finished !
Congrats' on your fine work :thumbsup:

Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/