Oak, Walnut or Cedar burl... possibility, or no?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Dixie_piper

Oak, Walnut or Cedar burl... possibility, or no?

Post by Dixie_piper »

I know briar wood comes from the burl, and that got me to thinking. I have access to the "burl" (not even sure if it's called that on these species) of these trees, and though these may work well for a pipe? In particular, one of the "unidentified" burls has an almost transparent look where it's smooth cut. It was dying from the top down, so my less than adequate knowledge left me clueless
Just a thought, any advice/criticism is welcome.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Sasquatch

Re: Oak, Walnut or Cedar burl... possibility, or no?

Post by Sasquatch »

Briar just happens to be a burl, or rather a clumpy rooted bally thing. One reason it is selected for pipes is that its burn temperature is really high. Woods like cedar, for example, burn at a much lower temperature, or at least, more readily when they are at burn temperature.

Cherry has a history as a pipe making wood, but I don't see walnut as a long-term pipe material.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Thanks!
I figured Cedar would be a bust. I may give it a go with that one "stump" of unidentified wood, just because the grain is so beautiful. Kinda pisses me off that the tree died.
I have tried to gain a more level headed approach at pipe making though after readin the "pipe alchemy" post. It made sense.
Not to mention the 2 month wait for my wood to season :(
My first step is gonna be to get that book (the name eludes me) that everyone seems to reference for beginners.
Second step, is going to be getting a kit to learn the basics on, as much as that idea goes against my grain, it's logical, practical and affordable.
In the meantime though, I still plan to try my hand at some one piece pipes if for no reason other than practice with less boundaries since it's free!

I did try "practice drilling" a stem today (out of walnut) which is what showed me I have to wait for the wood to season, and the wood boring bit I used was a very bad idea.
So, my 1st steps thus far have failed, but a failed attempt is merely a lesson learned.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

I understand the direction you want to go, but why?
For pipes, there is simply no other wood than briar. Its beauty and function are beyond compare.
There is nothing like what this wood offers for the carver-creativity, frustration, challenge, excitement, aesthetics, and pure joy.
Personally I don't understand why you just don't make furniture, whatnot's or thingamajigs from what you have and buy some real briar.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

That may just be what I do eventually, but for the time being, I want to try this direction. I am starting to shop around for briar kits to learn the traditional ways. And I likewise agree about the beauty of briarwood, some of the grain patterns I've seen in the pipes on here are magnificent.
In the spirit of my forefathers, I hope to seek out the beauty and purpose right in our own neck of the woods. My great greats made some things from local timber that (in my opinion) are magnificent.
I do also intend on doing as you suggested with the "knicknacks" and "whatnots," I just really like the idea of using the "down home" mindset, ya know? It's here, so why not
Ya never know, it could work, could be a bust. but either way it will still be an experience with a small part of myself thrown in the mix.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dixie_piper wrote:It's here, so why not. Ya never know, it could work, could be a bust. but either way it will still be an experience with a small part of myself thrown in the mix.
And sometimes you won't know until you try. :thumbsup:
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Just make sure the small part isn't a thumb that the chainsaw got while planing. 8)
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Lol, thanks guys!
Kurt, I finally got around to checking out your page. All I can say is wow! Those pipes were magnificent. Some very useful information there as well.

Sasquatch,
No worries about the missing thimbs bud, my neighbor is a constant reminder of "chainsaw safety." He went to hit the chain lock (while the saw was running) missed, and "pert' near split his hand in two" With today's medical technology, I've still got 2 spare thumbs called big toes anyhow, lol.
Thanks again guys:)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Dixie_piper wrote:Lol, thanks guys!
Kurt, I finally got around to checking out your page. All I can say is wow! Those pipes were magnificent. Some very useful information there as well.
Thank you!
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com