Compliments for Pipe Makers

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

I just posted this question on another forum, but I thought I'd ask it of you all as pipe makers. Which compliment would you prefer to hear: "your pipe is my best smoker", or "your pipe is too beautiful to smoke"? Obviously, there are many caveats and qualifications we could make, so the more general the better.
SWM

Re: Compliments for Pipe Makers

Post by SWM »

Yes. Thank you.

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

SWM wrote:Yes. Thank you.

Best,

Steffen
?
Thank you for typing.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I like both. I am mildly flattered and also mildly annoyed that a guy who has 3 of my pipes won't smoke them.

But I do get a hard on when someone says "Wow this pipe is ten times better than my _______"

I think the best balance is when someone appreciates the pipe enough to use it heavily - if it gets selected a lot from the rack, then I've done my job.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

e Markle wrote:

Best,

Steffen
?
Thank you for typing.
I'm pretty sure he meant both--and that would be my answer too.
SWM

Post by SWM »

e Markle wrote:

Best,

Steffen
?
Thank you for typing.
Sorry man, just kidding! :wink:

Yes, I meant both and the truth lies, as so very often, in the middle. You could call it 'conscious use'. Inconscious or careless use is no compliment and not using it at all is depriving the pipe of its purpose. Whereas if one intends to smoke a pipe but cannot find the right occasion, tobacco, etc. because he treasures it so much - well, that's a strong compliment...

Best,

Steffen
„If you can dream it, you can do it." (Walt Disney)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

As other have said, I like to hear both.

I have a couple customers that have my pipes and have admitted that they just can't seem to find the right time to smoke them - despite wanting desperately to do so.

And at the same time, I have customers that have bought new racks and dedicated them to pipes they get from me because they seem to always pick those up to have a smoke, and the pipes get heavily, heavily used.
Sasquatch wrote: But I do get a hard on when someone says "Wow this pipe is ten times better than my _______"
This always makes my day - along with "Your pipes are way underpriced, you really should raise them to be on par with ________.".
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I think the best compliment you can get is repeat custom. I have had plenty of guys send me long emails saying how they love their pipe etc, but unless they actually come back again in the future for another pipe then I know it doesnt really mean all that much.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

That's true Chris - it's nice to have sunshine blown up your ass, but the fact is, repeat buyers and viciously loyal buyers are really a lot more meaningful than someone saying "Wow this is SO great." and then fucking off and buying a Ser Jac or something.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!