Custom cases

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Sasquatch

Custom cases

Post by Sasquatch »

A customer has asked if I know how they build those custom pipe cases, and the fact is, I don't. He has a bunch of relevant products, but how are these things built?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller??
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Re: Custom cases

Post by baweaverpipes »

What type of custom pipe case? Wood or what?
If wood, go to Michaels craft store and buy a wood case. They are unfinished, but you can just sand and stain, make the innards and your good to go.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

No he's talking about a leather covered custom fit case, like the ones meerschaums often come in, or you see with pipes dating from a hundred years ago.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

I haven't the slightest about the 100 year ago cases, but if you've got an old meerschaum case around, slice n dice it to see what the insides are made of.
Personally, (even though I know it's not technically relevant) I like the cylindrical boxes Eder posted a "how-to" about not so long ago.

Ooh, found a place "white pipe case" that makes custom pipe boxes, theirs are made of poplar, fitted with leather and lined with velvet... if that's of any help?
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Once upon a time I made a fitted case for a set of dueling pistols for a longtime friend. They were wooden, not leather covered, but the fitted interior was just styrofoam (bought from Lowes) and inletted to the shape of the pistols, powder flask, and box for balls. After the foam was cut away and shaped to cradle the contents, I used some velvety material from the sewing supply store to line the case. It was stupid easy to do. I wish I had pictures, but this actually predated my possession of a digital camera.

The boxes that my meerschaums came in (all from Altinok) are similarly done, but at least one is just a carboard insert that takes the place of the styrofoam. Other than that the construction seems the same.

If I was going to do this, I think I'd follow Bruce's advice and buy the boxes from the craft store, then add the foam insert and lining.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
DMI

Post by DMI »

Most of the cases for meers are made from papier mache, the same method has been used for 150+ years.

Today the pipe is covered with cling film and the mache is laid onto this and shaped, the difficult part is moulding the leather skin.

I suppose the easy way would be to get any empty case and make the pipe to fit it rather then the other way around.

David.