My first post

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
MrJeff

My first post

Post by MrJeff »

Hello all, my name is Jeff. I have not made so much as a single pipe yet, but I am happy to have a resource such as this to be able to absorb knowledge from. I've smoked a pipe for about 18 years, and have always wanted to try my hand at making them. One barrier to that is getting together the required tools to do it right, but that has recently changed. My father in law mentioned he wanted to get rid of his lathe. I didn't know he even had one, it was hidden beneath spare parts for his race cars. I said I would take off his hands, so we went out to look at it.

What I found was a Montgomery Ward metal lathe with tons of tools and a layer of dust. This thing is a monster, all cast brass and solid steel. So we cleared around it, got the bobcat out of the barn and took it down to my house and now it is sitting in the garage. This thing was made by Logan and the serial number puts the year of manufacture as 1943. It still works just fine, all I need is a new flat belt because the old one is coming apart. Something like this would have cost me a fortune, and he just wanted to get rid of it.

I don't know when I will turn my first pipe, but I now have fun project for the winter. I'll post and contribute when I can, but I'll probably be doing more reading than anything at this point.
Sasquatch

Re: My first post

Post by Sasquatch »

Welcome aboard, Jeff.

It starts the same way for most of us. I was wondering if I could somehow replace a broken stem on a pipe, and I had a head-slapping "How 'bout that lathe in the garage, dumbass?" sort of moment, and it just grew after that.

It's a lotta fun.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

LUCKY! (Napoleon Dynamite tone of voice) I lieu of a lathe I push a rasp...a lot. Oh well, it gets me (and I'm sure many others) by. Congrats on the sweet snag, though! I'm new here as well and on 5 pipes in. One word of caution...pipe making is ADDICTIVE!!! Enjoy it.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
MrJeff

Post by MrJeff »

Thanks for the welcome guys. Sasquatch, if i can make a pipe as nice as your Danish Thingamabobber, then I will happy with my progress.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Well, thanks for the compliment. I can honestly say that the pipes I make now are better than I ever imagined I would be able to make, and they are still a far cry from what some guys here manage. The problem is, as hard as a guy works to get to Danish Thingamabobber level, you realize there's just one or two little improvements you could make on the next one... :D
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Congratulations on the lathe, first major financial hurdle overcome. The second major hurdle you will have is trying to understand the odious and annoying postings by Sasquatch.
Now comes the fun part, putting together a shop. Making pipes is, for me, cathartic and rewarding.
Keep reading the postings and go back to subjects of question. Read the advice from Tyler, Rad and Todd, they have posted some very concise areas of help.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

That sounds like a mantastic lathe.

Pics or it didn't happen. :D
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Yeah we're all thinking "Dude why can't I stumble across 50 year old tools that no one wants....???"
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Welcome!

Though Bruce mentioned I might be able to offer some advise, I don't know...I don't have any tools as nice as yours! :D Man, what a great story on the lathe. Have fun with it.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Welcome, and enjoy the ride!
BriarWorldNick

Post by BriarWorldNick »

And here I am contemplating everything I can sell to grab a lathe. You ol' SOB. JK, but really that's incredible man.
There is nothing like being left alone again, to walk peacefully with oneself in the woods. To boil one's coffee and fill one's pipe, and to think idly and slowly as one does it.

~ Knut Hamsun
maxmil

Post by maxmil »

Welcome.
Greetings.
Felix
Abi Natur

Post by Abi Natur »

Welcome Jeff and i wish you all good luck for a start !
Best,
Abi
" Keep it simple until it gets complicated "

http://www.canaanpipes.com/
Sorringowl

Post by Sorringowl »

It sounds like the pipe making gods have shone their light on you (cue angelic music). It sounds like you're destined to make beautiful pipes. Just remember I predicted this when you become huge and when you do, if you want to send me a lil' thank you gift (you know, for predicting your future), I really like nosewarmers (the pipes, that is). :D

Welcome aboard and let's see some pics of that lathe and your man cave.
“When one man, for whatever reason, has the opportunity to lead an extraordinary life, he has no right to keep it to himself”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Sorringowl's leather pipe accessories shop: http://www.sorringowlandsons.etsy.com
MrJeff

Post by MrJeff »

I put some photos up in another thread in the tools forum. Thanks for the welcome, though. I have yet to do a thing except work on the lathe getting everything cleaned up and ready to go.